555 timer help

98QuadCabV10

Joined Oct 20, 2012
Hello,
I've been reading on the 555 timer and would like to build my own circuit. I've built one before, but was only able to do so by copying a schematic. What I would like is to have the circuit turn on a relay for 5-10 sec every 60 seconds. How would I go about finding the proper resistors and capicators for this circuit?
Thanks for any info,
Jesse

98QuadCabV10

Joined Oct 20, 2012
Thank you for your help. So if I'm understanding this correctly to get the time high (on) I would take .693 x (r1 + r2) x c1 and for low (off) I would take .693 x r2 x c1. Am I correct so far? So do I just guess and put numbers in there till is get the time I'm looking for? Or is there an easier way and am I missing something?
Thanks again.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are calculators online that do 555 circuits, but you will get done just as quickly by just guessing and learning as you go. Reading the datasheet for the 555 is allso a good place to start. Several seconds takes a fairly large capacitor like 100 uf or 470 uf. There. That's a first guess. Calculate the resistors and see if you come up with a number that is below 1 million.

AfdhalAtiffTan

Joined Nov 20, 2010
Thank you for your help. So if I'm understanding this correctly to get the time high (on) I would take .693 x (r1 + r2) x c1 and for low (off) I would take .693 x r2 x c1. Am I correct so far? So do I just guess and put numbers in there till is get the time I'm looking for? Or is there an easier way and am I missing something?
Thanks again.
Yup, you're right...
Don't forget that both R and C are in SI unit; as example, 100uF = 0.0001F.

But, if the on and off time dissimilarity bugs you, you could add a diode between 6th and 7th pin of the 555, with the cathode being at 6th pin.
This will bypass R2 for charging the cap...

So the on and off time will share the same equation (roughly) t = 0.693*Rx*C. 'R1' for on time and 'R2' for off time.

Check this out:-
http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/TechBase/com555_555TimerCalc.html

98QuadCabV10

Joined Oct 20, 2012
Thank you everyone for all your help! Could you tell me if I did this correct. So using the diode between pin 6 and 7 this is what I came up with. R1 - 33k ohms, R2 - 330k ohms, and C1 - 220 uf. Which would give me about 5 sec time on and 55 sec off. Correct?

AfdhalAtiffTan

Joined Nov 20, 2010
Thank you everyone for all your help! Could you tell me if I did this correct. So using the diode between pin 6 and 7 this is what I came up with. R1 - 33k ohms, R2 - 330k ohms, and C1 - 220 uf. Which would give me about 5 sec time on and 55 sec off. Correct?
Yup, you're very close, but, how did you calculate it to get 55 sec? I get around 50 sec... :)

Make sure the capacitor is in a good condition, it might have too much leaky current; messing up with the timing. (especially with very old caps)

Remember, this is astable circuit, it will oscilate endlessly (with provided power of course).

98QuadCabV10

Joined Oct 20, 2012
I don't know how I did that the first time. I wanted to thank everyone for all of your help. I'm just starting to get into circuits and don't know much but I am learning. When I started I didn't realize how many different options there were for this little chip.