555/556 timer for dual pulse output with 90º phase shift

Discussion in 'Digital Circuit Design' started by Catriona82, Feb 15, 2017.

1. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    You need two resistors between the JK's and the transistor bases to set the base current. The transistor base will be about 0.7V when it is turned on (when the JK Q is high). The resistors should allow a base current about one tenth of the expected collector current.

2. Catriona82

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 15, 2017
    When you say a couple of resistor do you mean a series resistor between the Q pin of the JK and the base of the transistor?

I'm going to be connecting this device to either a galvanic barrier which will draw about 8mA when a switch contact is used. The PLC will draw 2.5mA when a switch is closed. I guess then I will need a selector switch on my generator so I can switch between two resistor values depending on which device i'm connecting to.

What resistor values would I need this this case (and what equation do you use).

3. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Yes, series resistors as you describe. You don't need to switch them just use the value appropriate for the higher current. If the logic is being driven from 9V then there will be 8.3V across the resistor (allowing for the 0.7V base emitter voltage). The higher collector current is 8mA so the base current should be about 0.8mA (this is not a critical value). So the resistor should be about 8.3V/0.8mA ≈ 10kΩ

Catriona82 likes this.
  4. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    A commonplace VCEsat is about 0.4V - enough current into the base to saturate the transistor will develop a Vbe of about 0.7V.

5. Bordodynov

May 20, 2015
    See Draft394.png

6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    @Bordodynov.
    Could you post the .asc file?
    Thank you.

7. Bordodynov

May 20, 2015
    See my file and example used HEF4000

ScottWang likes this.
  8. Kjeldgaard

Apr 7, 2016
    I have been following this thread, and had an idea that the task could be solved with a few D-Flip/Flop, but I was then in doubt if there were some steps that could lock in invalid sequences.

The following sketch on a two bits Johnson counter, can generate a quadrature signal from four clock pulses from eg. a 555 oscillator.

There are several posts with similar solutions, but here there is no additional active or passive components related to the counter circuit. And if we ignore differences in propagation delays between the two D-Flip/Flop, so Q1 will follow exactly 90 degrees after Q0.
    JohnsonCounter2Bit_1.jpg

9. Bordodynov

May 20, 2015
    Two timers: Draft395.png

ScottWang likes this.
  10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Is this similar like ambulance sound effect?
    As I remembered that I tried the circuit about 30 years ago during the poor ago, specially I was live in the country side, not that much ee stuffs..

11. Catriona82

Feb 15, 2017
    Ok. I've made my prototype circuit. I have a nice 90deg phase shift and a 50% duty cycle. However I am using the same signal generator circuit using the second channel of a 556 timer for a frequency of around 1Hz but the duty cycle is about 60%.

I used a 100nF capacitor between the trigger pin and GND, and 7M2 resistance between the output pin and the trigger pin to get the 1Hz frequency.
    does anyone know what could be going on? o_O

It is not of major importance as the PLC i'll be attaching it to will only be looking for the rising edge but i'd like to know why its not as i'd expect it to be.

thanks.

12. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    If you are using NE555 (as opposed to the cmos version) then it is probably the leakage on the threshold and trigger pins that is causing the problem. Try using a lower resistor and bigger capacitor - 10uF, 72k, perhaps

13. Catriona82

Feb 15, 2017
    Albert, thanks, I am using the NE556N so hopefully this is what the issue is. thanks for your help.