5 axis 3D printing?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Sorry, this I am finding confusing,
a 3D printer I get
up/down
left / right
forward / backward

where are the other two axis your proposing ?

Can you draw us a diagram ?
Sorry I work better with drawings then words.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Think of it as planes. The 3D printer head prints a layer in a single plane, normally horizontal.

Now suppose it could also print layers in each of the 2 perpendicular vertical planes.

Bob

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
the parts I would make on a 5-axis machine would be solid.
Then wouldn't you be better off with a 3-D liquid printer, can't remember at the moment what the real name is. cmartinez here has one. Uses a laser to solidify resin layer by layer, like a home stereolithography machine.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
You're right, this 5-axis business is silly. We should just start laser sintering plastics.
What do you mean, "start"? Laser sintering Nylon 6, Nylon 11 and Nylon 12 has been done for 15 to 20 years. Send your designs to one of the various vendors and start making that hand - nylon 11 would be perfect for slamming into a car door or working inside of a pot of boiling water.

you could get all 5 fingers and a palm printed in one run for a few hundred dollars. Then you can move onto the important parts of sensors and controls. Look for someone with a Fuse 1 - likely the most economical SLS Printer

https://formlabs.com/blog/what-is-selective-laser-sintering/

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What do you mean, "start"? Laser sintering Nylon 6, Nylon 11 and Nylon 12 has been done for 15 to 20 years. Send your designs to one of the various vendors and start making that hand - nylon 11 would be perfect for slamming into a car door or working inside of a pot of boiling water.

you could get all 5 fingers and a palm printed in one run for a few hundred dollars. Then you can move onto the important parts of sensors and controls. Look for someone with a Fuse 1 - likely the most economical SLS Printer

https://formlabs.com/blog/what-is-selective-laser-sintering/
Wow, thank you for contributing something I didn't know. I remember the expensive non-hobby-budget machines that use powder, but I thought they were UV curing with lasers. I must've gotten it confused with the UV curing liquid resins somewhere along the way.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Then wouldn't you be better off with a 3-D liquid printer, can't remember at the moment what the real name is. cmartinez here has one. Uses a laser to solidify resin layer by layer, like a home stereolithography machine.
There are some drawbacks to the liquid stuff. I think (my thoughts might be obsolete) the available polymers are not as robust as what you can get for a regular extruder printer. Most (all?) of them are soluble or otherwise incompatible with water or other common fluids and don't do well in sunlight.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
To all...

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a solution for 3D printing a prosthetic hand. That endeavor was over years ago. I only posted this because I saw 5 axis 3D printing on YouTube and freaked out, as it's the first major development in 3D printing that's reached out and slapped me across the face in a long time. I wanted to hear from anyone who might be on the front lines, how the development goes.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
So,
rotating the bed , clock wise and anti clock wise,

And the other, rotating the bed which way ?

if your adding rotation, do you not need 6 degrees not 5 ?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So,
rotating the bed , clock wise and anti clock wise,

And the other, rotating the bed which way ?

if your adding rotation, do you not need 6 degrees not 5 ?
6-axis is a robot. I do not think a 6th axis would be needed to achieve the improvements I have described, but it may be possible that 6-axis robot software is more readily adapted to 3D printing than 5-axis milling software, so in that case a robot could be a better starting point.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
6-axis is a robot. I do not think a 6th axis would be needed to achieve the improvements I have described, but it may be possible that 6-axis robot software is more readily adapted to 3D printing than 5-axis milling software, so in that case a robot could be a better starting point.

so fourth degree of freedom is the bed rotating clock wise / anti clock wise ?

You ae after 5 degrees of freedom, which is the 5th ?