4PDT Relay/help/diagram

mtr79821

Joined Aug 25, 2022
I have years of experience doing mainly residential INSPECTED electrical work.

This is for my 10 year old sons hog shed.

So I have a 110VAC 1/2 HP single phase motor that I need to power from (2) separate inputs, (input #1 and input #2), both inputs are 110VAC.
When input #1 is energized I need input #2 to be locked out and VICE VERSA.
*** I think a 4PDT relay would do this but i have no experience with these. I would GREATLY appreciate a Relay part number and if possible a wiring diagram.

A triple or quad input would be better yet but K.I.S.S. applies to myself here!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Two separate 4 pole relays are better as you can use one set of the contacts to open the other coil to lock it out, and vice versa.

mtr79821

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Would anyone have time to do a diagram? ill gladly cash app you payment for doing it. **if that's allowed on the forum*

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Refer to the above diagram.
In your case, The Mtr1 and Mtr 2 will be the Line and Neutral of Supplies 1 and 2, The "Line" and "Neutral" will be the Motor.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hi R,
Switch in Center Off,,,, No Mtrs powered.

Left pair of Contacts Mtr #1 Powered,,, Mtr#2 OFF
Right pair of Contacts Mtr#2 Powered, ,, Mtr#1 OFF.

I don't see the point you are trying to make.:)
E
The requirement was 1 Motor with 2 Power supplies. The picture is for 2 Motors with 1 Power Supply.
I just interchanged the two, :)

mtr79821

Joined Aug 25, 2022
ok so I m not understanding in the diagram above..
.is that a 4PDT?? OR??

can you possibly put pin #'s o on the drawing?
IM SO SORRY BUT IM LOST

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi mtr,
How can you by using the simple switch diagram I posted have both supplies connected to the motor at the same time.????

You dont need a relay.
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
If I understand, what you are asking for is that you have two 110Vac supplies available for powering a motor and if the one supplying the motor with power fails it is automatically switched over to the other 110Vac supply source, and remains that way even if the original 110Vc source becomes available.???

E

mtr79821

Joined Aug 25, 2022
Hi,
If I understand, what you are asking for is that you have two 110Vac supplies available for powering a motor and if the one supplying the motor with power fails it is automatically switched over to the other 110Vac supply source, and remains that way even if the original 110Vc source becomes available.???

E
NO that is not the case. I have 2 110v sensors that may call for the motor to activate at the same time. this is why a relay or relayS are required to prevent BOTH from trying to power motor at the same time.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi mtr.
OK.
I assume the Sensor/s drive a relay that connects power to the motor, so if that is correct, what is the sensor output.?
Pity I don't make house calls, I'm sure we could crack this problem together in a few minutes.:)

It is customary to give one switching circuit priority, just in case both sensors call at the same instant.

E