New IC's and Electronics - 4PDT IC's

rablack97

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I need help putting together a IC circuit that will simulate a 4PDT relay. I have a few MC14551's but have no clue if this the right chip to do this with. I have very little knowledge about this things.

Am i on the right track or can somebody lead me the right direction.....I am working with 5v inputs, so any help with types of resistors I would need and where they would go on the IC would be helpful.

Thanks in advance...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello,

I need help putting together a IC circuit that will simulate a 4PDT relay. I have a few MC14551's but have no clue if this the right chip to do this with. I have very little knowledge about this things.

Am i on the right track or can somebody lead me the right direction.....I am working with 5v inputs, so any help with types of resistors I would need and where they would go on the IC would be helpful.

Thanks in advance...
A solid state relay or optoisolator will be much closer to a conventional relay. You are really going to need to be more specific on what you want to do.

rablack97

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Sorry, I just realized my title is wrong, and i can edit.....New to IC's and electronics, is what it should say.

Ok I will try to explain this as best as i can. I an developing an expansion board for and encoder...The board has 2 USB inputs to the encoder, but only one source can feed into the encoder. So right now I have a 4PDT mechanical relay working fine, but i would like to use a smaller mechanism that can do the same thing hopefully an IC.

What's happening is Source 1 usb is plugged in to the encoder, when i plug in source 2 it sends 5v to the relay as a control and switches off 5V GND data- data+ for source 1 and allows source 2 usb connections to flow to the encoder.

I've spent days trying to figure this out, but i have no knowledge of pull down resistors, what needs to be bridged etc. or as you say I might be going th wrong route altogether.

rablack97

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Ok I see its pretty straight forward.

Although these look like NO, so i see this would take care of switching on one of the USB ports, how would one of these switch off the other?

The idea is to have port 1 shut off when port 2 is plugged in, and when port 2 is unplugged port 1 fires back up.

Last edited:

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I believe the attached circuit is what you're looking for but I am not sure if it would work. Maybe others would comment on it.

When button if off, U1A and U1B connects and J1 is switched to J3. When button is on, U1C and U1D connects and J2 is switched to J3.

If this circuit works, so as will your MC14551 chip which is a bothway Mux.

Allen

Attachments