43" plasma TV is tripping my MCB whenever I tried to power it on

somantakg_2009

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Hello guys,

I am new here and need your help. My 6yrs old Samsung plasma TV suddenly stopped running and my MCB tripped. I checked the power outlet of the wall it found to be okay. Later I called the service engineer of the TV and he opened the TV and took out the power supply board and tested for continuity. He found short in several points. He told me that he'll repair it at reinstall. If that again get short then he's saying the culprit may be the panel.
Now my question is, if it is possible to check for the root cause before any repairs cause it will be easier for me to decide whether I will invest on the repair or go for a new TV.
Please help me as I am a novice.

Regards,
Somantak

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It will be a switchmode PSU, probably blown transistors or capacitors, it will be easier to replace the PSU board which is what the repair guy would do, it may have blown due to lightning or over-current on the TV.

somantakg_2009

Joined Aug 19, 2020
It will be a switchmode PSU, probably blown transistors or capacitors, it will be easier to replace the PSU board which is what the repair guy would do, it may have blown due to lightning or over-current on the TV.
Thank you for the reply. Well when it stopped working, no lightning was there. Can you please tell me how over current on the tv can occur? Is it from the panel or it may from any other components? Actually is there any way to check all these before starting any repairs. Because I will am not willing to shell out 25% of the TV's price on repairing rather would get a new one.
Thank you.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Either internal component short or external EMP. I always use a surge suppressed power strip for my radio/TV/stereo/computer equipment and also a panel mounted whole house surge suppressor on the mains.

somantakg_2009

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Either internal component short or external EMP. I always use a surge suppressed power strip for my radio/TV/stereo/computer equipment and also a panel mounted whole house surge suppressor on the mains.
So you are saying that internal components can cause this power supply board short circuit as no external emp was there as I have MCB for the whole house. Can it be checked which internal component is/are responsible for this short without just repairing the power supply board?
Thank you.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Switch-mode power supplies are not an easy repair is the typical advice. Usually better to replace. Unusual that it would trip the main panel breaker and not the branch feed breaker? Never attempted it myself but there are entire books written about how to do it since it is not a simple task. Much more difficult than your typical linear power supply with transformer and rectifier with filter.

somantakg_2009

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Switch-mode power supplies are not an easy repair is the typical advice. Usually better to replace. Unusual that it would trip the main panel breaker and not the branch feed breaker? Never attempted it myself but there are entire books written about how to do it since it is not a simple task. Much more difficult than your typical linear power supply with transformer and rectifier with filter.
I want to know whether any other components in TV other than this SMPS board is/are actual culprit which caused the SMPS to get short. Is there any way to check all the components prior to start any repairs to rule out/find out actual root cause. Can SMPS board be only the result? Can cause is any other components in the TV?
Thank you.