40-50 db wide SPL meter

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I need to record sound levels which usually range from 70-100db but could get up to 110. The sound is fairly constant and continuously varies in this range. I need to be able to record the meter levels some how. If the sound levels go beyond the 70-100db range and I had to choose one side of the spectrum to focus on, it would be the 100-110 range as the higher levels are more important to record. So, even though maybe 1% (or less) may be above 100db, it may be the most important data collected.

(I actually only need 2-3 devices capable of higher db ranges of 110db)

I have seen a number of meters and schematics that record 70-120 but they have a selector knob with 10db increments. This won't work when doing continuous auto-sensing/recording.

As for recording, I think taking a measurement of 1-4 times a second would be ideal if possible.

I'm trying to find out if these meters can be made as, ideally, I would need 5 to do the proper research I need for this project.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a meter that will have the range needed and what is the best method for recording the data from something like this?

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I need to record sound levels which usually range from 70-100db but could get up to 110. The sound is fairly constant and continuously varies in this range. I need to be able to record the meter levels some how. If the sound levels go beyond the 70-100db range and I had to choose one side of the spectrum to focus on, it would be the 100-110 range as the higher levels are more important to record. So, even though maybe 1% (or less) may be above 100db, it may be the most important data collected.

(I actually only need 2-3 devices capable of higher db ranges of 110db)

I have seen a number of meters and schematics that record 70-120 but they have a selector knob with 10db increments. This won't work when doing continuous auto-sensing/recording.

As for recording, I think taking a measurement of 1-4 times a second would be ideal if possible.

I'm trying to find out if these meters can be made as, ideally, I would need 5 to do the proper research I need for this project.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a meter that will have the range needed and what is the best method for recording the data from something like this?
It all depends on the accuracy you need.
Foe example if you use a regular electret mic it will have an output of about 2.6 mv at 70 and 825 at 120 so you can see the resolution on 1 scale won't be so good.
In other words 70 db with a gain of 5 will be about 13 mv while at 70 db about 23 mv. 100db 415mv 105, 735mv.
Can you use numbers like that?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Not clear - are you recording the audio, or are you recording the audio's SPL value? Also, analog or digital recorder?

ak
I'm recording SPL level. I'm not sure whether digital or analog would be better, I just need something that shows average sound level every second or like 2x a second. It's basically showing the "loudness" at a site.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It sounds like what you want is a calibrated, autoranging SPL meter with a digital output, maybe a serial port or USB port, and a flash drive recorder.