4 LEDs combination controlling

karmaker

Joined Apr 28, 2015
I need some clue where should i start.

Here is the situation:

I have four LEDs connected to a battery with resister allowing them to lit dimly.

Now, I want to add four switches. These are one way switch and can only be turned on one at a time. Function of the switches will be.

Switch 1 on: LED 1 & 2 get bright (3 & 4 stay dimly lit)
Switch 2 on: LED 2 & 3 get bright (1 & 4 stay dimly lit)
Switch 3 on: LED 3 & 4 get bright (1 & 2 stay dimly lit)
Switch 4 on: LED 4 & 1 get bright (2 & 3 stay dimly lit)

I tried the attached circuit, but, it doesn't work.

Attachments

karmaker

Joined Apr 28, 2015
I know. I was adding wires as i saw fit and this is the output. Can you suggest an IC or a simple circuit that can serve my purpose. Thanks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yeah, a bunch of steering diodes.
You only have 3.6 volts in the first place, so you should be using red LEDs. Use diodes to allow enhanced current through your chosen pairs of LEDs. The "dim" resistor arrives at a node just before the LED (which is connected to ground). The "bright" resistors connect through a diode to the same node. Finding switches that shut each other off (when pressed) are about impossible to find, but a rotary switch will do the job.

karmaker

Joined Apr 28, 2015
As #12 suggested, selected a bright red LED, 2V @ 20 mA. With no SW pressed, all LED's dim, 2.8 mA; SW 1 on & LED 1 & 2 bright @ 14.3 mA; SW2= LED 2&3 bright; SW3= LED 2&4 bright; & SW4= LED 1&4 bright.View attachment 84875

It works! Thank you. My students will really appreciate your help.

This is basically a flight simulator for kids to make them understand how quadcopters work. A joystick is used for the switches.

Here I am sharing my final diagram.

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the reply; it appreciated when a final report is given, successfull or not.

Last edited: