4-bit sequence detector

rwalker

Joined Feb 14, 2012
Hello all and good day! I am stuck on this homework problem:

Design a “non‐overlapping” sequence detector that will output a 1 when it recognizes an input sequence of “1101.” Design this as a “Moore” sequential circuit.

(a) Draw the “Moore” state diagram for the circuit.
(b) Draw the corresponding state table.
(c) Derive the D-FF state and output equations.

Now, we just started talking about state diagrams. I do know that the Moore output will not rely on the input but only the output combo logic which comes from the present state. Then the present state is reused with an input to create the Next State with the Next State combo logic block. My teacher is one who likes to give us homework first then explain the questions after we turn it in as he feels we should have read the book. Only problem is, he has not given us the book!

So if someone could start me off with this problem, I think I would be able do the state table and derive the D-flip-flop as well as the output equations.

Also, this is my first post on this site, so I apologize if my formatting is bad. :)

rwalker

Joined Feb 14, 2012
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how would a "non-overlapping" sequence detector read and look for "1101" differently than an "overlapping" sequence detector.