4-20mA Current Receiver with RS232 or USB

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Can we use 4-20mA Current Receiver with RS232 or USB if yes which one is more efficient ???
I am not sure what you are asking? When you say "Can we use 4-20mA Current Receiver" are you saying you want to read a 4 - 20 mA current loop and display the results in an engineering unit? For example you have a sensor with a 4 - 20 mA output and you want to read that signal using a RS 232 port or USB port? Should that be the case then to what uncertainty or accuracy? Most current loop measuring devices, like those listed by bruce429 simply convert the current to a voltage and measure the voltage using an ADC (Analog to Digital) converter.

Given a choice I would choose a USB interface simply because it is the more common. New computers seldom include a RS 232 interface port. If you better explain your question you will likely get some good suggestions as to how to go about it.

Ron

karzo94

Joined Apr 3, 2018
You would have to build an interface to translate the protocol, basically
a UP running SW that translates the 4/20 ma loop to/from the RS232 or
USB.

As far as efficiency, what are you asking, parts count, power, protocol information
density, speed ......?

One approach - https://www.planetanalog.com/author.asp?section_id=3066&doc_id=563262

Regards, Dana.
Hey Dana
I wanted to interface the 4-20mA current Receiver connect directly with my PC to run the some simulation
i need to which one is efficient (either RS232 or USB)
to get connected with PC
as RS232 is very old technology and people still using it what difference I will be facing if i use USB ??

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You simply repeated the same request as in post #1 with no new information.
What is a 4-20mA current Receiver?
We know 4-20mA is current. What does the Receiver do?
What are you trying to measure or what information are you trying to transfer to the PC?
Give us a make and model number of the device.

karzo94

Joined Apr 3, 2018
it depends on your application. If you are trying to use it with a modern PC then you might wanna go with a USB because new PC doesn't have RS232.
There are so many ways to build a USB 4-20mA receiver device.
Here are some devices you can use
https://store.ncd.io/shop/?fwp_product_type=4-20ma-input-output

!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Bruce
the devices suggested by you are very useful ......
but to get connected with PC's i have to get these device interface with arduino or Raspberry Pi 1st right??
is there any easy way to get the 4-20mA sensors to connect via USB by downloading USB drivers something like that???

daisy56

Joined Mar 30, 2018
You simply repeated the same request as in post #1 with no new information.
What is a 4-20mA current Receiver?
We know 4-20mA is current. What does the Receiver do?
What are you trying to measure or what information are you trying to transfer to the PC?
Give us a make and model number of the device.
Hi

As Karzo94 tried the explain the same way
I am trying to find out the easy way to get connected (any hardware) via usb or RS 232 (by installing hardware's driver updates is able to get compatible with PC quickly) with our pc without interfacing with Arduino or Raspberry pi ?
I need to run test on 4-20mA sensors with Simulation software
check out the Schematic which i help to connect directly with 4-20mA current loop Receiver and PC
Please suggest will this schematic work ??

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Still no new information.

What is the sensor?
What software are you going to use on the PC?

How are you related to Karzo94? Are you the same person or two persons on the same project team?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, then knowing little of the whole objective here is what I suggest you do. There are dozens of companies making DIO (Digital In Out) and ADC (Analog to Digital) modules. Even the mentioned Arduino and Raspberry Pi modules / micro-controllers can easily interface with a PC. Find an interface module which offers the features you want as to inputs and outputs. Just as an example an Arduino Uno:
Arduino Uno is a microcontroller board based on the ATmega328P (datasheet). It has 14 digital input/output pins (of which 6 can be used as PWM outputs), 6 analog inputs, a 16 MHz quartz crystal, a USB connection, a power jack, an ICSP header and a reset button. It contains everything needed to support the microcontroller; simply connect it to a computer with a USB cable or power it with a AC-to-DC adapter or battery to get started.. You can tinker with your UNO without worring too much about doing something wrong, worst case scenario you can replace the chip for a few dollars and start over again.
DATAQ Instruments offers a wide range of starter kits and another offering is from Measurement Computing as to interface modules. A simple Google of Data Acquisition should bring up a few dozen hits. I can not tell you what you want or need as it grows apparent you don't know what you want or need and can't define the project.

Ron

karzo94

Joined Apr 3, 2018
Still no new information.

What is the sensor?
What software are you going to use on the PC?

How are you related to Karzo94? Are you the same person or two persons on the same project team?
No i am not same person
i am thinking to work on this project what actually i need to know is there any hardware to use 4-20mA sensor like which is connected with 4-20mA current loop receiver can be connected directly with PC ( rather than using any micro-controller ) by downloading usb or RS232 driver updates and can use the sensor to run some simulation on Labview