3D TV suggestion

Alexandra Khilova

Joined May 11, 2016
Hello, guys. I'm a fresh here and going to buy my first 3D TV. Can you help me? After dozens of reviews, can't make a decision what to choose. What can you say? Does anybody here have it? Share your experience, please, or recommend a good model. Or can I show you a review and ask for a piece of advice, please?Thanks in advance!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Have you decided which display technology and what size you want?

The type of content you expect watch and your viewing distance from the screen can also be factors.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
+1 for what mcgyvr said. 3D is dead... It was only a fad when it came out. I recently sold a 47" LG 3D TV with glasses that were NEVER used. Look for a SMART TV instead. As large as you can afford.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would look at OLED, if you can afford it. It apparently has the best picture.
As noted, it would appear that 3D TV is dead. There's very little 3D content out there.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The latest thing of course is 4K. We'll see how far that goes.

The big thing was the move from SD to HD. Once you've made that transition, everything else is a hard sell to an average viewer. Is 4K better? Of course it is, but is it worth paying any premium for? Most folks would rather spend a few dollars to get a screen a few inches larger than to build a 4K system.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
3D makes my head hurt so it's never been high on my list of must have technology.
I am looking at upgrading my Home Theater front projection system to a 4K wider screen from the current 1080P 8 foot wide screen setup. The current picture is great at the 12 foot viewing distance but I've seen what the new JVC 4K units under 4 grand can do so the wallets is burning. The main problem is I also need a short throw unit to get that wow Wow WOW big picture in the current configuration.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I would look at OLED, if you can afford it. It apparently has the best picture.
As noted, it would appear that 3D TV is dead. There's very little 3D content out there.
Just 8 months since @crutschow posted this and now the new Samsung Quantum Dot technology is even better looking and more durable than OLED. QLED is a direct display of light, no LCD panel needed. They look great and you can get a 40" display for under $1000. Costco had Gen 1 products just before Christmas. The Gen2 are already on display at CES in January and feature "Alloy" Quantum Dots (based on indium, I believe) with higher light intensity and durability. They also presented QLED at 8K resolution at CES - amazing.

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/blog/Zoom-in-on-the-Lifelike-Colors-of-Quantum-Dot-Technology.html

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I am not surprised.

Many moons ago I was in my "3-D phase". I did SIRDS, stereo photos, stereo images of molecules in computer graphics and stereo video. I was also involved in a project to make a stereo endoscope at about the same time.

I got started with SIRDS:
https://www.google.com/search?q=SIR...PlytHRAhUI0GMKHU96AJ4QsAQIIw&biw=1366&bih=635

At every opportunity, I would show a SIRDS to someone I met. It was quite common for them to say "I can't see 3-D". I would reply "It just takes some practice". I was surprised at how many times the reply was something to the effect of "No I have a vision problem. I can't see 3-D at all".

I can still view SIRDS without any difficulty but I get a headache if I watch a movie in 3-D. No 3-D TV for me.