3 position toggle switch on-on-on

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
Hi All, Just bought this 3 position toggle switch described as on-on-on from Element 14.
I need each position of the switch to be completely exclusive. On measuring the connections it looks like this is not possible. The pins are in 2 rows, 3 pins per row.
For instance in the middle position 2 of the pins in 1 row are connected. But when moving the switch to the right the same 2 pins are connected. Moving the switch to the left disconnects these 2 pins.
Anybody know how to connect this switch to get exclusive connection for each 3 movements? From the description as an on-on-on switch you would think this should be possible. Some one on google states that this type of switch is rare. It also may be that element 14 has sent me the wrong switch. The description was for an on-on-on switch.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi All, Just bought this 3 position toggle switch described as on-on-on from Element 14.
I need each position of the switch to be completely exclusive. On measuring the connections it looks like this is not possible. The pins are in 2 rows, 3 pins per row.
For instance in the middle position 2 of the pins in 1 row are connected. But when moving the switch to the right the same 2 pins are connected. Moving the switch to the left disconnects these 2 pins.
Anybody know how to connect this switch to get exclusive connection for each 3 movements? From the description as an on-on-on switch you would think this should be possible. Some one on google states that this type of switch is rare. It also may be that element 14 has sent me the wrong switch. The description was for an on-on-on switch.
There are hundreds of 3 position switches.
What is the part number so we can look it up?

Last edited:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Get a 3 Pole 3 Way switch - 3P3T. Use each pole independently

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
Get a 3 Pole 3 Way switch - 3P3T. Use each pole independently
that sounds like something that will do it. In one position I need to connect 5v to the circuit. In the middle position 0v to the circuit and in the 3rd position again 0v to the circuit but this goes to a different place in the circuit than the middle position connection. It has to be independent.

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
There are hundreds of 3 position switches.
What is the part number so we can look it up?
element 14 part number 155-0185. Looks like this is not the one I need. It is DPDT. I believe I need 3P3T as per Ramussons reply. This would be 3 poles instead of just 2. Middle position needs to be connected to ground. One outside position to 5v and the other outside position to ground while the middle position is disconnected from ground.
Is there this switch on Element 14? If not can anyone let me know where I can get one.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
There are lots of 3P3T switches out there. The more expensive ones are usually rotary switches. Cheaper switches are the sliding types, like the G-368S or G-168S series from CW Industries, available at Digikey.
There are many DP3T sliding switches as well, if you only need to transfer ground and 5V. Look for the G-328 series.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Pins 2 & 5 are the common pins.

When the toggle is to the left, pins 2 & 1 are closed, 2 & 3 are open; pin 5 & 6 are closed, 5 & 4 are open.

When the toggle is centered, pins 2 & 1 are closed, 2 & 3 are open; pins 5 & 4 are closed, 5 & 6 are open.

When the toggle is to the right, pins 2 & 3 are closed, 2 & 1 are open; pins 5 & 4 are closed, 5 & 6 are open.

From the action you describe this switch will not achieve that function. You'll need either a slider switch or a rotary switch. Given that the switch you now have is small the current capabilities are not high. Likely their voltage ratings are also not for high voltages. A rotary switch, the more common ones are not designed for high voltages or high currents. Pay close attention to how many amps and the voltage you're working with so as to not get a switch that won't survive. Conversely, getting a high amp, high voltage switch and using it in a low voltage, low amperage situation will also fail because the switch contacts are not designed for the low currents and voltages.

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
There are lots of 3P3T switches out there. The more expensive ones are usually rotary switches. Cheaper switches are the sliding types, like the G-368S or G-168S series from CW Industries, available at Digikey.
There are many DP3T sliding switches as well, if you only need to transfer ground and 5V. Look for the G-328 series.

thanks Sagor. I was trying to get it in a different switch format which was not available. I have now ordered the G -368S as suggested by you. Unfortunately Digikey is payment in US dollars and presumably comes from the US which means considerable delay time. I have ordered from Mouser Australia payment in local currency and immediate delivery. Thanks again for the reference.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am a bit late if you have already ordered, but part of your request is unclear. Supply +5 volts is a connection, but is "0" volts to be a different connection, or just an open circuit. If just an open circuit then the switch you have can do it, but if connecting to zero, then not.

denison

Joined Oct 13, 2018
It has to connect to 0v of the circuit. Not an open circuit. Meaning then the toggle switch I currently have will not be any good. I cannot find any toggle switches that are 3P3T. The switch I have now ordered is a sliding type for panel mounting. Thanks for your interest.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It has to connect to 0v of the circuit. Not an open circuit. Meaning then the toggle switch I currently have will not be any good. I cannot find any toggle switches that are 3P3T. The switch I have now ordered is a sliding type for panel mounting. Thanks for your interest.
It wil indeed need to be a slide switch. To do it with a toggle switch would require at least one relay, possibly two relays. So if having a toggle switch is seriously important that is a way that you could do it..