3.3V - is it HIGH for 5V chip?

palkapalka

Joined Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

I have ADC that I want to power with 5V.
I have microcontroller that I power with 3.3V (it can not take higher).
ADC is connected to MCU with I2C - SCL and SDA.
ADC requires pull-ups on SCL and SDA.
If I pull-up with 5V - I am afraid this may burn MCU since this voltage goes to MCU SCL and SDA pins.
So, the question is can I pull-up with 3.3V and power ADC with 5V?

Please do not suggest to power ADC with 3.3V - this works but I want to put it on 5V source because I already have 5V in my design that I can turn on and off that may save energy consumption - this is the whole idea here. 3.3V I can not turn on and off since it is the only power for MCU.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Which ADC and which MCU?

Without such info, there is no possible way for your question to be answered.

Links to datasheets would be useful, also.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Well the RFD parta is specified for 3.3V so you need to make sure that it gets no more than 3.6V on its inputs. If you run the ADS at 5V exactly, then you are out of the assured range as the input should be at least 3.5V to make sure it will register as high level.
I would simply use some level shifters and don´t have to guess.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The setup with 2x10K resistors are a bit on the slow side, I think I once did a bit of simulating it with values around 1k and it performed a lot better, but can´t remember the exact numbers.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

I have ADC that I want to power with 5V.
I have microcontroller that I power with 3.3V (it can not take higher).
ADC is connected to MCU with I2C - SCL and SDA.
ADC requires pull-ups on SCL and SDA.
If I pull-up with 5V - I am afraid this may burn MCU since this voltage goes to MCU SCL and SDA pins.
So, the question is can I pull-up with 3.3V and power ADC with 5V?

Please do not suggest to power ADC with 3.3V - this works but I want to put it on 5V source because I already have 5V in my design that I can turn on and off that may save energy consumption - this is the whole idea here. 3.3V I can not turn on and off since it is the only power for MCU.
There are various bus-wide level converters you can buy off the shelf for putting between 3.3V and 5V devices. Usually it isn't difficult to get a 3.3V device to switch a transistor on and off, you could simply tie its collector resistor to the 5V rail - but the signal would then be inverted. You can then invert it back again with a second transistor, but it starts getting a bit untidy! Not too bad for 1 or 2 lines of serial transfer, but for parallel lines a bus converter is the way to go.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
There are various bus-wide level converters you can buy off the shelf for putting between 3.3V and 5V devices. Usually it isn't difficult to get a 3.3V device to switch a transistor on and off, you could simply tie its collector resistor to the 5V rail - but the signal would then be inverted. You can then invert it back again with a second transistor, but it starts getting a bit untidy! Not too bad for 1 or 2 lines of serial transfer, but for parallel lines a bus converter is the way to go.
IIC.