28AWG Wire Splice Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by newothegreat, Jun 22, 2017.

1. newothegreat

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2012
    Hello,
    I just received some custom components that have short wire leads coming off them, and it turns out the leads are about 5mm too short. I need to add a short length of wire onto the end of the leads to extend it. The wire needs to be able to bend in a few different places, so I can't solder it since it would be too brittle, and the solder would wick into too much of the wire, preventing it from bending where I need it.

My plan was to splice the two wires together using a very narrow crimp band, so that the wire could still bend where I needed it. After a few hours of searching, I could only find one part that seemed like it would work, but the crimper and applicator were all together around $13k, which is too much for this rework job since I'm only going to need it for a couple hundred crimps. This is the part:
    https://www.digikey.com/product-det...y-amp-connectors/63621-2/A111513CT-ND/4142899

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    -Crimp wire splice
    -2x 28awg wires in a "thru-splice" configuration
    -preferably 2mm wide (in the direction of the wires)
    -inexpensive tooling hopefully

Thanks,
    Owen

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    13k?

3. newothegreat

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2012
    $13k

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Thirteen thousand dollars?
    Is it solid gold?

How about a terminal like this.
    You could double the 28AWG wire over to fill the 22-26AWG opening.

5. newothegreat

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2012
    That's how they get you. They'll charge you 10 cents for the part, but $10k for tools to make it work.

That component is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but it's too long for what I need. It's a about 12mm long, and I need it to be 2-3mm maximum.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Don't know if they make anything that small.
    Could you cut them to the length you need?

7. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  8. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    solder splice but make your wires 2" longer than needed, then loop around and zip tie together so the splice doesn't need to bend.

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    That sounds like rubbish! I have bought Weidmuller tooling in the past which is considered one of the top of the line in tooling, they are not cheap, but NO where near that.
    Ebay you can get the cheaper versions for a few $$$s.
    Max.

10. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    1. Put the solder joint in a place where you won't need it to bend.
    2. Replace the entire wire instead of splicing.

11. newothegreat

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2012
    Thank you for the replies, everybody. Unfortunately I do not have much space to work with, since the lead coming off the wire is only 14mm to begin with. I can't really add in a solder splice where it won't need to bend - almost the entire length of the wire needs to bend! Also, there is no room to add an additional wire loop.

The wire leads are integral to the components, and are potted in epoxy, so there really no way to replace the wire leads without destroying the component itself.

$13,000 definitely is a lot of money for a crimp tool, but it's not a completely outrageous amount of money. The only tools that can crimp that particular splice band are high-end automated crimp tools used to high volume production. It's at the high end of the cost spectrum, but not completely unreasonable (after all, some companies are buying them...).

What I was really after, was to see if anyone had a suggestion for a similar crimp band that could splice together two 28AWG wires, and was as small as possible.

Thanks again.

12. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    1mm bore copper/brass tube (from old bulb-type thermostat?) cut to 1.5mm lengths. Solder will be drawn into it by capillary action and remainder of wire would remain bendable.

djsfantasi likes this.
  13. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah, or you could just crimp the tube.
    Cheapo hydraulic crimper should be able to do it no problem.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html
    I have this tool and it is one of the better tools HF sells.

14. KeepItSimpleStupid

Distinguished Member

Mar 4, 2014
    FYI: Note the drawing says the part is obsolete.

Spot Weld?

15. RichardO

May 4, 2013