24v to 12v led strip

kenkay

Joined Mar 4, 2013
I have a 24v source and a strip of leds that need to run at 12v. I only have room to make a simple voltage divider to drop the voltage. I used 2, 100ohm resistors at 1/2W but they are getting way to hot. Any suggestions? Should I just bump up to higher wattage resistors?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I have a 24v source and a strip of leds that need to run at 12v. I only have room to make a simple voltage divider to drop the voltage. I used 2, 100ohm resistors at 1/2W but they are getting way to hot. Any suggestions? Should I just bump up to higher wattage resistors?
We will need to know the current of the led strip as well.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Your resistors will dissipate the same amount of power as heat that the LED strip consumes and any linear voltage regulator will do the same.
Yep..
Best solution is to buy the correct power supply or use a switcher type step down DC-DC converter which won't dissipate nearly as much heat as a linear solution.

ameli

Joined Mar 21, 2016
Hello..just use a switching voltage regulator using Lm2575or2576 ..no heat..no power lost

Last edited: