24V Power Supply Design Help

TTown87

Joined Oct 29, 2017
Hello,

Looking for advice on designing a 24V power supply.

I'm looking to source a design and build a power supply for myself to use while working as a tattooist.

I need the power supply to have the following config:

- Variable either button or pot
- On/Off switch
- 2 Jack ports for supply power to tattoo machines
- 1 Jack port for on/off foot pedal
- 1 Jack for 240V supply

I use two different types of tattoo machines, a coil machine and rotary machine. I believe I need a high inrush current to get the rotary machine to start.

Any help advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Martin Taylor

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
TTown87,
I think that you want to save some money however; tattoo systems will penetrate the skin this implies that the skin resistance is reduced.
Making a power supply that is completely free from ground is not simple and forces you to obtain the roles and regulations for medical equipment.
This is a job for a high qualified electronica engineer/designer.
This device (combination of power supply and tattoo machine) is seen by European laws as a medical supporting device with ability to bring material (ink) in the body. see 1993L0042 — xx — 11.10.2007 — 005.001
xx stand for two letter language code.

Picbuster

TTown87

Joined Oct 29, 2017
TTown87,
I think that you want to save some money however; tattoo systems will penetrate the skin this implies that the skin resistance is reduced.
Making a power supply that is completely free from ground is not simple and forces you to obtain the roles and regulations for medical equipment.
This is a job for a high qualified electronica engineer/designer.
This device (combination of power supply and tattoo machine) is seen by European laws as a medical supporting device with ability to bring material (ink) in the body. see 1993L0042 — xx — 11.10.2007 — 005.001
xx stand for two letter language code.

Picbuster
Hello will this be the case if I'm purely just building the power supply?.

The supply is a standalone piece of equipment and it's sole purpose is to power the tattoo machine (manufactured by a vendor)

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Under European laws it's always the total system when running at main.
your net filters or other parts could have a leakage lifting increasing the maximum voltage and current between body and tattoo device.
Using a ringcore transformer certified for medical supplies will bring you one step closer.
A switching power supply is not possible due to the EMC net filters (coils and capacitors from main to ground).
When the supply ground fails ( defective cable or ......?) your machine ground is, due to the filter, 1/2 the main voltage.
Separating your machine ground from the net connection will lift your machine ground due to the internal transformer capacity chopper might run at a one megahertz.

That's why the European law will treat this as a whole.
But your are free to use any power supply however; when things go bad they try to find a person to blame.

Two parts:
Economic offence. ( based on advantage not following the rules while the other producers are forced to do so). Not applicable to you.

Crime charge could be: placing a person or persons in a dangerous situation with a non certified device raising therewith the risk of injury or death. ( depending on how bad it turned out for your customer).

Picbuster

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think the main message here is that tattoo machines can easily electrocute a client if the the machine becomes electriaclly "hot" and there is a path through the client to ground.

Standards developed for medical equipment intended for direct electrical connection to patients are probably excellent references.

One way that you can assure compliance with leakage requirements is to use an isolation transformer designed for the smount of isolation you need (based on leakage current).

You might find better to buy an off-the-shelf 24V power supply and add your own jacks and switched to
It than to build your power supply frim scratch. It is less expensive and virtually guranteed succed.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
will this be the case if I'm purely just building the power supply?
It depends on where you'll be using it.

In the US, regulations for medical equipment are not insignificant. They require extreme measures to avoid any possibility of shock. Building your own here would require getting all of the necessary certifications. That would entail far more time and expense than than simply buying an off the shelf product.