24V 5A 3-state capacitive touch switch (not a dimmer, without relay)

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
Anybody know where I can buy or how I can make a 24V 5A 3-state capacitive touch switch (not a dimmer, without relay) ?
It has to work like a on1-off-on2 switch. It is for a speaker with batteries:
1. off
2. audio on
3. audio and lighting on.
It has to have very low standby power consumption.
I can only find this, but it is only on-off and also a dimmer: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000102100042.html

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome oslosl to AAC.

You're describing a bi-state switch, which actually has three states: OFF (state #1) - ON (state #2), ON (state #3), then off again. You can build a circuit to do that using a counter or a shift register. You can also use a microprocessor and a little coding, which is probably the best approach. However, I'm not versed with µC's or the programming needed. I also don't know of any off-the-shelf items you can purchase. I bet you can find something like that, but I don't know for sure.

State #1 Off.
State #2 would be to power your audio system.
State #3 would add lighting to your audio system.

Or if you want to go the really easy route - two separate switches. One turns the audio on and the other turns the lighting on.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I try to avoid slide switches. A simple momentary touch switch and a bit of trlay logic will do the job very well. Do you want one more touch to switch it all off?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
24 volts at 5 amps is a fair amount of power to be switching. Available touch sensitive buttons are not power switches. That was my reason for my suggestion. Using a processor module is very much a "Nuts and Volts" concept. But just a bit of relay logic can make it happen. It would require multi-pole relays with suitable contacts to handle 5 amps.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
24 volts at 5 amps is a fair amount of power to be switching.
That IS what the TS is asking for. But I'm thinking the audio system may be protected by a 5 amp fuse, leading the TS to believe the audio draws 5 amps. In fact, the audio may be drawing more on the order of a few amps. But at this point I'm making assumptions.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Could use P channel mosfets although relays would be simpler. I believe the biasing is correct for the mosfets at 24 volts.
The 4017 is configured to reset on count #3. Standby current is appx 200 micro amps.
1674057982223.png
EDIT: Assigned Q1 and Q4 the correct part #

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Totally correct. KW.
I suggested an arrangement with relays because I presumed the TS was not a master of electronic fabrication. And I assumed that this was a one-off project.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
HEY MAX!!
The first mention of production was made in post #11.. Up until that point it seemed like very much an installation in somebody's vehicle.
Obviously mass production has many priorities different from a personal one-off creation. BUT no mention of that prior to post #11. I went back and looked, in case I had missed it. no mention at all.

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
HEY MAX!!
The first mention of production was made in post #11.. Up until that point it seemed like very much an installation in somebody's vehicle.
Obviously mass production has many priorities different from a personal one-off creation. BUT no mention of that prior to post #11. I went back and looked, in case I had missed it. no mention at all.
Do you know anything about designing, developing, prototyping and testing a product before it goes into production? If not, you must either do a lot of research on the subject or be prepared to lose everything you invest in this project.
Honestly, it all started with me hoping that a product like this already existed. I have now learned that it does not, so I am looking for options. The reason I am so impatient is that this is just a very small piece of my speaker project and I have spent most of my time learning to design and build BT speakers, not electronic switch design. Since the speaker has an aluminium frame, it would be so cool to avoid mechanical contacts, just touch the frame. But maybe I am just dreaming ...

oslosl

Joined Jan 13, 2023
And sorry about the other thread, I dream big, but have to start small, with a limited budget and need all the help I can get.