220v electric motor connection

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Ok I will wire it up like star connections to run single phase
It is not likely that a motor intended to operate from three phase power will perform adequately connected to single phase power. Star configuration connection to single phase power will not deliver the rated performance .
The connections shown are for connecting a three-phase motor to three phase power.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You have a 220 Volt 3 Phase motor. You can have 3 phase delta or 3 phase Y but it is a 3 phase motor so unless you have a 3 phase 240 VAC 60 Hz generator or other 3 phase source you can't hook it up to run. I see MrBill was quicker than I with that. :)

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also one motor must run clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Is it possible to only use one digital phase converter?
You can use 2 Identical motors on a VFD, I have done it in the past, but the performance requirement and command has to be identical, ideally.
If under ~5HP total, you can use 1ph supply.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Do not expect anything like the rated motor performance when using the scheme shown in post #10, if the motor runs at all.
Actual 3-phase power is not like a somewhat phase shifted second phase, Also, the capacitor value will depend on the motor size and rating. In addition, the capacitor will have to be motor-running current rated.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do not expect anything like the rated motor performance when using the scheme shown in post #10, if the motor runs at all.
Actual 3-phase power is not like a somewhat phase shifted second phase, Also, the capacitor value will depend on the motor size and rating. In addition, the capacitor will have to be motor-running current rated.
Although it does roughly simulate the method used in RPC (Rotary phase convertors) I built one and used it for a few years to run my 3ph Excello mill spindle before eventually replacing with VFD.
https://www.northamericaphaseconverters.com/phase-converters/

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have seen 'scope readings which show a 3ph signal that is impossible to tell the difference between the two.
In any case, it did the job well and as could be expected.
I suspect the eventual availability of cheaper VFD's was the cause of its demise.