200k and it's not resistance

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Somewhere in the 250K range is about where my vehicles tend to hit the point where they are too worn out to be cost effective to try and keep going so I have yet to see one of my own hit the 300K mark. :(

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The vehicle is a 2000 S10 4.3L 4WD extended cab. I bought it new and have driven 99+% of the miles that it has gone. I don't keep it very clean, but I do mechanical maintenance and fix things as they break. Recently, I saw a local ad for an S10 for a very low price, so I went to look at it on a lark. It had 305k miles and had never had the heads off (same engine as mine) which gave me hope that mine will go another 100k. It's ride #3 in a two-driver family, so it sits a lot. I drove it today about 120 miles and discovered that the AC isn't blowing as cold as it should, and the power steering is a little stiff. I had a new PS pump put in not long ago, and it probably just needs a little fluid and the AC has probably leaked a little un-freon over the winter. I still enjoy driving it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I remember, as a kid, that a car that went past 100,000 miles was "new" again because the odometer didn't have enough digits to track it since few cars were expected to reach it and virtually none were expected to make 200,000 miles so if a car had rolled the odometer over you pretty much knew it and also knew it had only happened once.

There were exceptions, of course. My 1975 Bronco had about 150,000 miles on it when we bought it and 328,000 miles on it when I finally parted with it.

My current car (a 1999 Camry) is closing in on 200k miles pretty hard. I don't think it will make 300k miles, primarily because the mountain beats cars to death in short order.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I know a number of people who have put Ford pickups well into the 400K - 500k mark on all original major components.

They were looking pretty rough at that point, though. :(

I also know of a local company that loved to go the other way with their fleet of semi trucks. They would buy up million mile plus over the road rigs then put new instrument panels and dashboards in them from low mileage wrecked units from all over the country then try to pass them off on the driving crew as new units as if no one in the company ever talked to the mechanics at the company home shop who were doing the new paint jobs and replacing the instrument panels and dashboards and worse.

They may have looked new inside and out but underneath they were clearly well-worn machines and it took any even slightly experienced driver about two miles to figure that out by how they handled. Brand new trucks don't have massive frame rust or loose steering and suspension or sloppy shifter linkages or rattling drivetrains or burn or leak a gallon or more of oil every 1000 or less miles. :rolleyes: