2 amplifiers in an 8 ohm series circuit

jagga

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Hey,

This may be a dumb question; truth be told I don't know.

I want to connect two amplifiers to an 8 ohm pa system in series set-up.

Can this be done and will it have adverse effects on either amplifier?

Thanks in advance.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I want to connect two amplifiers to an 8 ohm pa system in series set-up.
Do you really understand what series means?
Do you mean one amp driving the other or both trying to drive the speaker?

If you mean the second you may have heard that it is possible to connect some amps together to drive a speaker system.

But this is not a series connection, it as known as bridge mode.
You can only connect some amps this way and you need a special driver circuit.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Generally a switch (4PDT) is used to switch one speaker as microphone and the other as speaker, and reverse this connection, for a intercom.

You can't really do what you're wanting to do directly, though the phone company uses some fancy audio transformers to come close.

jagga

Joined Oct 19, 2009
ok a simple as possible,

There's an existing pa system with one amps, I'm want to connect a second so I can broadcast over the system without having to use the other one. What i need to know is could it wreck the other amp...

I know for a fact that it's an 8 ohm pa system.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If you connect both amps at the same time it is almost certain you will damage at least one of them and maybe start a fire into the bargain.

You need a switch to switch both poles of the input to the distribution system between amps. This is a two pole changeover or (double pole double throw) switch and should be rated for the PA system current and 120 volts AC.

However this is likely to cause unwanted problems in the form of switching thumps from the speakers. You also have the problem of who controls the switch, especially if the amps are remotely located.

A better solution might be to switch the input to the one amp, if for instance you want to do voiceover of the PA music or whatever. This would also save you an amp if you haven't already bought it.

ok a simple as possible,
I seem to have done a lot more typing than you have - you owe me a beer.

Last edited:

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Instead of spending your money on a second amplifier -which, as the others have advised, won't do what you are trying to achieve, you'd be better off getting somthing like this : http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_DU30b.pdf .
It's designed to do exactly what you need. It's even got a schematic attached, so you could get an idea of how it actually works.
Might even encourage you to build something yourself,if you feel so inclined!