2.048v Voltage Reference..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have been working on building a single 2.048v reference in order to check calibration of my meter and other equipment..I choose to use the Maxim Max6126 which is 2.048v and 0.02% tolerance with 5ppm Temperature Coefficient..The reason I chose to use this voltage because it will show full value on all my DMM and should work for most people ...I will be working the design and schematic in diptrace.. The design is not done or even built yet but I am working on finally details in order for me to buy the parts and test and it should be really nice IMO..The unit will powered with a single 18650 cell with a cheap ebay usb charger and battery protection circuit .. I was going to use a normal switch to turn the unit on but will go with a monetary switch circuit I think..My only problem is whether to use all smd parts or use smd and through hole ?? I was thinking all smd since I don't a drill press and I can get away with drilling a couple holes by hand but not set on the idea yet..

Any comments or suggestions ???
Hopefully I will be posting a full schematic..

Here is where I am pulling the circuit from and will be modding it to suit me

Chip schematic
Attached below

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have been working on building a single 2.048v reference in order to check calibration of my meter and other equipment..I choose to use the Maxim Max6126 which is 2.048v and 0.02% tolerance with 5ppm Temperature Coefficient..The reason I chose to use this voltage because it will show full value on all my DMM and should work for most people ...I will be working the design and schematic in diptrace.. The design is not done or even built yet but I am working on finally details in order for me to buy the parts and test and it should be really nice IMO..The unit will powered with a single 18650 cell with a cheap ebay usb charger and battery protection circuit .. I was going to use a normal switch to turn the unit on but will go with a monetary switch circuit I think..My only problem is whether to use all smd parts or use smd and through hole ?? I was thinking all smd since I don't a drill press and I can get away with drilling a couple holes by hand but not set on the idea yet..

Any comments or suggestions ???
Hopefully I will be posting a full schematic..

Here is where I am pulling the circuit from and will be modding it to suit me

Chip schematic
Attached below

My projects all seem to work and my favorite meter, a Fluke 8025A - made in 1983, has not been calibrated since 1985. Seems like an interesting project though.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have been working on building a single 2.048v reference in order to check calibration of my meter and other equipment..I choose to use the Maxim Max6126 which is 2.048v and 0.02% tolerance with 5ppm Temperature Coefficient..The reason I chose to use this voltage because it will show full value on all my DMM and should work for most people ......
My multimeters only go to 1.999V on the 2V scale.
What do yours go to?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
My projects all seem to work and my favorite meter, a Fluke 8025A - made in 1983, has not been calibrated since 1985. Seems like an interesting project though.
My meter is even older. A Data Precision 4 1/2 digit one from when 4 1/2 digits was still special. I have thought about doing similar project but cant find a reference that has 4 1/2 digits of absolute accuracy right out of the package. :-( (I realize that my meter is no where near 4 1/2 digits of accuracy but I can dream can't I).

My multimeters only go to 1.999V on the 2V scale.
What do yours go to?
Mine, too. Maybe 2 each 1.0000 volt references in series? Analog devices has a ADR130. Not as good as the 2.048 volt references, though.

Another option would be a calibration resister in series with the 2.048 volt output of the reference. Just big enough to divide with the meter's 10 megohm input to give 2.0000 volts. On second thought, that resistor would be huge since it would have to drop the voltage by about 2.4%.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I think the OP has a Fluke 87 - they run at 6000 counts in low res and 20000 counts in high res mode.
Thanks I have the Fluke 87 series II and every meter I own is autoranging hence it's design but what I will do is try to find a suitable Vref below 2v and build a seperate design if you would like ??

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
So basically all he just needs a 2 volt ~(+-.1 volt) reference. The other two lower sets of numbers is just to make him feel like the money he wasted on the made in china meter was justified.
I choose the voltage because it was the lowest voltage with the best specs I could find .... I have a couple flukes and bought them used and they still work perfectly .. The reason I choose them was because for the price of a quality Chinese unit I could get a used fluke that might save my life or someone else if something where to happen..
The purpose for the build is so any one can build a quality Vref for say under $10.00..

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you can make it all surface mount you will certainly save yourself some trouble drilling holes. If you some of the parts you need to use only come in through-hole packages, you can probably mount them on the surface anyway. You should should not feel shy about using the most practical approach.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What made-in-America devices do you use?
None. I'm not brand or place of origin loyal. I own many devices that come from far off countries that cost way less than what made in America brands charge for similar quality or lack thereof.

I'm pretty sure all of my multimeters come from somewhere that doesn't tack a 200+ % markup legacy fee on to their products because of what their name once stood for. :p

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
@Dr.killjoy
What you are building is called a "transfer Reference". (I have one based on the AD587LQ for 10 volts.) After temperature cycling it for so many times you can send it to a cal lab and they can trim it to your preferred voltage for a pretty cheap price. They send it back to you and you have a great voltage reference to compare your meters to.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Sorry for the no updates but I have had work and alot of repairs that needed to be done ..
I looked in too a Vref below 1.99v and found some ok IC chip but can't match the tolerance of 2.048v IC... So I would just use DickCappels design posted below..
My only problem right now I am working on is finding the right P-fet to work with 18650 cell ...
I was looking at the FQPF9P25YDTU but not sure if would work or is there a better choice..

I use a LM4140-1.0 0.1%, 10 PPM/°C. Its greatest use is in initially checking DVMs.

View attachment 84476

If you can make it all surface mount you will certainly save yourself some trouble drilling holes. If you some of the parts you need to use only come in through-hole packages, you can probably mount them on the surface anyway. You should should not feel shy about using the most practical approach.

Thanks for the advice and helps out alot ..
@Dr.killjoy
What you are building is called a "transfer Reference". (I have one based on the AD587LQ for 10 volts.) After temperature cycling it for so many times you can send it to a cal lab and they can trim it to your preferred voltage for a pretty cheap price. They send it back to you and you have a great voltage reference to compare your meters to.
I am happy with the voltage I choose but will have to check that out..
Thanks

Last edited: