16 bit up counter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by aphocks, Sep 5, 2016.

1. aphocks

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Hello, I am working on a CNC machine and I want to use an up counter with a sensor as an encoder on my motors. I need a 16 bit up counter circuit, and IC, or IC's that can give me a binary number output in 16 bit from a 1 bit input signal from the motor sensor. Any suggestions?

2. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
  3. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    AFAICR: there are off the shelf binary counters with an up/down select pin - the TS will need a dual optical sensor like they used in a ball mouse, some basic glue logic will be needed to decode direction from the quadrature signals.

4. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Yes, the MC14516 is an up/down counter.

5. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    straight out counters or a mcu.

6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    A counter will require a few chips of glue logic, for a human readable counter display, BCD counters would be better - but I can't remember if there's any up/down types. Beckman used to make decoder driver chips that did hexadecimal, but I've only seen types for driving neon 7-segment displays. They were probably discontinued many years ago.

An MCU would be the more elegant solution - but it depends if the TS wants to get into coding it.

7. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Producing a 16 bit counter output output, either uni- or bi-directional, is not difficult. Most 4-bit counter chip datasheets have schematic for combining multiple chips for a larger count word. What are the destination characteristics for the 16 bit number? Voltage, current, is a display involved, etc? Also, what resets the counter?

ak

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    You say a "one bit" input? this implies you don't care which direction the motor moves, just count pulses either direction?

To actually track the position accurately, you need a quadrature, 2 - channel encoder and an up/down counter.

9. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I mentioned the dual output sensor for quadrature in post 3.