12v output or 24v output?

Farmaller48

Joined Jun 30, 2016
Likely a silly question for the rest of you, but something I need to know and don't know now. Working with a 12 volt automotive system, if you were to tie into EACH of the two brake light power supplies (right side and left side - perhaps about 6 inches back from the actual brake light assembly), then take the ends of the two new wires that you tied into each of the two brake light supply wires and put the bare ends of them together, if you measured the voltage output when you press the brake, would you get a 12v reading or a 24v reading? I suspect the correct answer is that you would only get a 12 volt reading.

Farmaller48

Joined Jun 30, 2016
Thanks crutschow. That is what my gut was telling me. I had an older brother who was any electrical engineer, and he was my go-to guy on stuff like this. We lost him last year, and I sure miss having him around... Really appreciate you stepping in for him. ;-) He probably would have said, "Well duh... both lines are getting their power from the same battery, and it is only producing 12 volts!!!" Lol.