12v fan power system

Caleb.cook

Joined Mar 19, 2022
Looking for some help, completely new to circuitry. So I am trying to use a 12v power supply to run a pwm Controller then run to 12v fans. When I get this all connected and try to run it the fan won't spin, when I turn it higher it just makes a whining noise. When I connect the fan straight to the power supply it works just fine. And I connect a meter to the output of the pwm and get good voltage. I am unsure what issue I could be having.

Here is what I am using
PEMENOL Motor Speed Controller... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WR4KBMF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
WINSINN 50mm Fan 12V, 3D Printer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX8L4K8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
LED Driver 60 Watts Waterproof... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZP9247?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share20220319_114243.jpg

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Looking for some help, completely new to circuitry. So I am trying to use a 12v power supply to run a pwm Controller then run to 12v fans. When I get this all connected and try to run it the fan won't spin, when I turn it higher it just makes a whining noise. When I connect the fan straight to the power supply it works just fine. And I connect a meter to the output of the pwm and get good voltage. I am unsure what issue I could be having.
Fans controllers usually provide a minimum current to start the FAN spinning when stopped, after which, the current can be reduced to slow down the FAN.
As a test, try setting the Controller output to 100% duty cycle and see if it works.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
My first guess would be (assuming everything is hooked up correctly) is a defective PWM controller.

Second guess is the controller is not getting along with the LED driver for whatever reason.

I would also question where do you have the upper PWM limit set? The fan might not start below 30% or so.

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Not hijacking the thread here - just asking - will a brushless DC motor run on PWM?
(assuming everything is hooked up correctly)
No need to assume. The red positive wire from the PS shows hooked up to the positive input terminal of the PWM controller. Black wire to the negative input terminal. The fan likewise appears to be wired correctly.

Wonder if maybe the PS is PWM output, and the frequency is interfering with the aftermarket PWM unit.

Last edited:

Caleb.cook

Joined Mar 19, 2022
I had to reprogram the frequency. Will I be overloading it if a just leave my high and low at 100%? And when I start at around 25 percent on frequency it starts to move but whines a little, I have no problem keeping it between 50-100, just want to make sure I don't have other issues.
So I am used to duty cycles on machines and welders. Do pwm's not work the same, how i under stood for example is a 50 percent duty cycle would be 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. Do these work the same?
Thanks for the help guys.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I had to reprogram the frequency. Will I be overloading it if a just leave my high and low at 100%? And when I start at around 25 percent on frequency it starts to move but whines a little, I have no problem keeping it between 50-100, just want to make sure I don't have other issues.
Shouldn't be a problem since the controller output capacity is 5A and the fan only requires 110mA.

So I am used to duty cycles on machines and welders. Do pwm's not work the same, how i under stood for example is a 50 percent duty cycle would be 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. Do these work the same?
Thanks for the help guys.
The issue is the controller is designed for motors and not FANS.
In addition, the FAN is not a PWM type fan....different than the FAN your using.

Caleb.cook

Joined Mar 19, 2022
Shouldn't be a problem since the controller output capacity is 5A and the fan only requires 110mA.

The issue is the controller is designed for motors and not FANS.
In addition, the FAN is not a PWM type fan....different than the FAN your using.
What type should I be looking for? Or should I look for a voltage regulator maybe?