12v Circuit Question

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
My "12V" solar panel measures 18VDC with no load and produces 12V only when the load does not exceed 188mA.
It can charge a tiny 12V lead-acid battery or it can make up the daily losses by trickle charging a larger lead-acid battery.
When your Lithium battery charges at 16.8V then the current from the solar panel will be close to zero.
Maybe your solar panel is the same as mine?

NoobCircuits17

Joined Jan 10, 2021
My "12V" solar panel measures 18VDC with no load and produces 12V only when the load does not exceed 188mA.
It can charge a tiny 12V lead-acid battery or it can make up the daily losses by trickle charging a larger lead-acid battery.
When your Lithium battery charges at 16.8V then the current from the solar panel will be close to zero.
Maybe your solar panel is the same as mine?
In advance thank you all for taking the time to help. Question now that I have; do I need a bigger solar panel with a higher voltage?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The trouble with a solar panel is that its voltage changes a lot and is too high or is too low for your BMS.
Maybe you use a higher voltage and higher current solar panel and a solar controller that keeps the voltage correct.

NoobCircuits17

Joined Jan 10, 2021
The trouble with a solar panel is that its voltage changes a lot and is too high or is too low for your BMS.
Maybe you use a higher voltage and higher current solar panel and a solar controller that keeps the voltage correct.
Could I use a dc-dc setup converter to boost the voltage to get a constant 16.8 volts ?

NoobCircuits17

Joined Jan 10, 2021
1N4001 should be fine.
Great I have a few of those laying around. I appreciate the expertise. I want to throw this out on the table too see what you think about removing the 12v solar panel and adding a 18v solar panel with a step down to add more power for the charging around 16.8volts. Also I could still wire it per your diagram shown. Learning more and more everyday.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The normal operating voltage on those 12 volt panels is about 17 volts. I don't think you need a higher voltage panel. I would set up the 12v panel and get some voltage readings.

NoobCircuits17

Joined Jan 10, 2021
The normal operating voltage on those 12 volt panels is about 17 volts. I don't think you need a higher voltage panel. I would set up the 12v panel and get some voltage readings.
When I get home today I’ll get the panel setup for some more testing and see what it’s producing then get back to you. Thank you