12v 7ah battery charger

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
That is correct and indicates a bad design lacking some sort of basic overcurrent protection.
Well the power supply i was working with had a single 1N5400 diode (3 amps nominal; rating) and so i was surprised that it did not open up because i had a lead acid battery connected to the input of the power supply at the time and as i am sure you know that could have supplied a lot of current through that one diode. I think maybe the wire size i was using for the leads had something to do with the current limiting as well as the alligator clips. I considered myself lucky though and i think i disconnected pretty quick too.
I've seen power devices rated for 100 amps blow to hell in the past. Molten metal flies everywhere. Very large input caps help do that too ha ha as they hold a lot of power at a couple hundred volts input.
So when it comes to parts blowing, i dont leave anything out :)

BTW i should have included in my previous post that a series diode will prevent back current flow from a battery as long as the battery is connected properly. IF the battery voltage were to rise or the power supply voltage was to fall then the series diode would help, but if the battery voltage goes lower (and that included going negative) it will draw excessive current if allowed to.