12v 10a SMPS for peltier

Tom gayle

Joined Sep 20, 2021
Hi! I've been making refrigerator through peltier device.i am gonna connect 12v 10a SMPS power supply.will it works?will peltier produce more cooler with 12v 10a SMPS?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You haven’t provided enough information. What are you using as a PS now? What is the part number of the Peltier devices?

While Peltier devices do use a lot of power, often the limiting factor is the relative temperature of the cold and hot sides. The differential between the two sets an upper limit.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

How much current is taken from te powersupply depends on the type/size of the peltier element.
If a peltier element needs 2 Amps, it will take 2 Amps, even when the powersupply can deliver 10 Apms.

Bertus

Tom gayle

Joined Sep 20, 2021
Hello,

How much current is taken from te powersupply depends on the type/size of the peltier element.
If a peltier element needs 2 Amps, it will take 2 Amps, even when the powersupply can deliver 10 Apms.

Bertus
Peltier need 6a (max)72 watt.

Tom gayle

Joined Sep 20, 2021
Using a 10A supply will not increase the cooling/heating of the device.
But I connected 12v 5a power supply to peltier,12v dc cooling fan -2.
It produces some cooling.if I connect 12v 10a SMPS power supply will it produces more cooling than before?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
But I connected 12v 5a power supply to peltier,12v dc cooling fan -2.
It produces some cooling.if I connect 12v 10a SMPS power supply will it produces more cooling than before?
Potentially. The hot side cooling is a critical element. The Peltier’s ability to create ΔT (change in temperature) between the hot and cold is reduced as the hot side (and/or cold side) heats up. That’s what your fans are for. At a certain point the hot side will be too hot to move heat from the cold side and you will be at the limit.

That may have already happened. You can improve this with either more cooling on the hot side or insulation of the cold side to prevent it from heating up as much as possible. The hot side also heats the cold side through the device so cooling the hot side is critical.

You can measure the temperature of each side and use the device datasheet to determine the maximum heat gain, the ability to move heat, measured in Watts, and see if you have reached it.