120v G4 counter lighting fixture. halogen to LED.

OdysseyDelta2

Joined Aug 19, 2020
I recently decided to switch over to LED, because these halogens use so much power and output so much heat. The fixture is not dimmable. The new LEDs are rated for 120v, 35w equivalent.

I replaced all the bulbs in the fixture, turned them on and they were so dim. I turned them off but they stayed on with some light that is barely visible, as i remove them one by one, each time i remove one, the other would increase their brightness. I put them back, except for one. In that slot, I used a halogen bulb and suddenly the led bulb turned off completely like it's supposed to while the switch is in the off position. I flipped the switch and bam, the leds are as bright as the halogens. my mind was blown. What is going on here. So unless i have a hologen in the circuit, my leds will not get the full 120v. I'd rather not have to use this as a work around if i have to use a halogen bulb.

Does anyone understand this fixture's behavior and how to get around the problem without having to use a halogen bulb? any help would be much appriciatetd.
thank you.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Are you certain your fixture is wired the way you think it is?

I googled for G4 fixtures (I didn't know what they were). I saw mention of LED bulbs operating from 10-30VDC constant current and 12VDC.

You need to provide more specific information on the light fixture model and the LEDs you're trying to use.

OdysseyDelta2

Joined Aug 19, 2020
thank you for your quick response. It came with the house and I have no info on it. There is no model information that i could see. it's mounted under cabinets and i'm not ready to tear it down just yet. I've attached a picture of label with some information about it.

Attachments

OdysseyDelta2

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Sounds like some type of electronic transformer inside that requires a minimum load of 35 watts.
SG
That sounds like it would make sense. I think i might as well replace the transformer with a 120vac to 12vdc. there are an abundance of 12v bulbs on the market but hardly any 120v bulbs.