110 vs 220v for electronics

Fabriceusa

Joined Jun 7, 2020
Well, first, I need to apologize: I have no idea if I am in the right place for my question or not ;-).... but I’ll try anyway!

i have soundbar for my TV, JBL 5.1 (model name jblbar51blk). It comes with a subwoofer as well. As I bought this unit in the US, the soundbar itself shows 110v (the subwoofer has its own plug and shows nothing re: voltage).

I will be moving to Europe in a week, where electricity is 220v. I’d love to bring my soundbar, and I know that most on the market are capable of sensing and adapting to dual voltage (even though sticker on them/user manual sometimes show only one voltage, either 110v or 220v is accepted ... this is likely a way for company to avoid people buying massively from one region and import in another ... eg my soundbar is $449 in the US, but 599 Euros in Europe!).

Now my question: As I don’t trust 100% the label that shows “110v”, is there a way to test with a multimeter, without entirely opening the unit, if my soundbar is capable of sensing input voltage and adapt so it doesn’t blow off if I plug into a 220v outlet? I hate to just take the risk of “trying” to plug it into 220v and “see what happens”.

As a note, there is an equivalent of my jblbar51blk model that is being sold in Europe as jblbar51blkep (not sure if “ep” stands in that case for just “european plugs” or “european power” or something else!

thank you so much!!

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
As I don’t trust 100% the label that shows “110v”, is there a way to test with a multimeter, without entirely opening the unit, if my soundbar is capable of sensing input voltage and adapt so it doesn’t blow off if I plug into a 220v outlet?
No.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Unless you can be sure, do not just plug it in. As @bertus says, it will likely blow..
It may be worth buying a step down transformer, 220V to 110V.
Can you show a picture of the sound bar power supply label? It should indicate the power requirement the transformer needs to be rated to.
Also, if you have someone technical in your area, the power supply can be changed for another to suit.
But as you have 2 devices in question, the step down transformer is the easiest way. Power them both from it.

Fabriceusa

Joined Jun 7, 2020
Hello,

When you plug an 110 Volts system into 220 Volts supply, it will likely blow.
What is the exact type number of the part?
I can not find it at jabse:
http://www.jabse.com/L0pCTC9BdWRpbw==

Bertus
Hi Bertus-

Thanks!

The models in question are actually:
  1. JBLBAR51BLKAM for the US version (here on US JBL site)
  2. JBLBAR51BLKEP for the European version (here on European JBL site)
Couldn't find either of those either at jabse unfortunately.

Thanks again

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Now my question: As I don’t trust 100% the label that shows “110v”, is there a way to test with a multimeter, without entirely opening the unit, if my soundbar is capable of sensing input voltage and adapt so it doesn’t blow off if I plug into a 220v outlet? I hate to just take the risk of “trying” to plug it into 220v and “see what happens”.
If it has a switching supply (that accepts 110-220VAC) or a selector for input voltage, that will be indicated near the power input.

Manufacturers are usually consistent in labeling the input voltage requirements, so I wouldn't assume that they're trying to deceive you and intentionally apply a voltage the labeling doesn't support.

Get the manual for the device and check to be sure.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If they made two versions, then it will have a transformer inside instead of a switchmode PSU. Easiest way is to unscrew the back plate and measure the output of the transformer.
It won't have a switchmode PSU as it causes havoc with Bluetooth.

Last edited: