10.5v 160mA solar panel - outdoor security light

Solar1

Joined Jan 12, 2009
Hi: My first post.

I have acquired a solar panel that produces 160mA at 10.5v in full sunlight and I want to build it into a circuit that charges a battery to power a light that comes on after dark. Outdoor security light concpet.

I need the light to shut off automatically after the battery gets below the required voltage after the light has burned for 2-4 hours. I know I will need a photo-detector, relay and maybe some kind of comparator for shut off.

(schematic copied from post by "Audioguru" from another thread)

How do I modify the above schematic to make the light to something more powerful (more LEDs?) and rig the circuit so it will switch off automatically if the batts. voltage drops to low during the night - don't want continuous batt drain if it gets too weak to power the light. Also, given the specs of my panel, what battery and how many should I choose to charge?

Greatfully yours,

Solar1

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Because there is commonality in the topic, would this be better served in the existing thread? At least all information regarding this topic would be grouped together.

Dave

Solar1

Joined Jan 12, 2009
OOOps! Sorry for the redundant thread here guys.

If a Moderator would delete this thread, I would greatly appreciate it.

I posted this in the "General Electronics Chat" forum.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As the OP you can delete this thread yourself. One of the things I like about this site is they trust and give the users a bit more power than usual. So far people don't seem to abuse it. Off the top of my head I think you need to use the "Go Advanced" options.