1 more question:

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
What is one method of changing a count up type of asynchronous counter to a count down type of asynchronous counter?
thanks all

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Each bit in the counter sequence is represented by a cascaded arrangement of JK flip-flops. If the clock at each subsequent JK stage is sourced from the NOT(Q) output (ref. http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/04349.png), then taking Q as the output gives you a count-up counter and NOT(Q) gives you a count-down counter.

So the answer is toggle between taking your outputs from Q to NOT(Q).

Dave

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
By the way Dave. I'm taking an electrical engineering course: the title of the book is "Digital Systems, Principles and Logic". All these questions I post on this board will be graded, so hopefully all the answers are correct. Thanks for all your help Dave.

:)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
By the way Dave. I'm taking an electrical engineering course: the title of the book is "Digital Systems, Principles and Logic". All these questions I post on this board is graded, so hopefully all the answers are correct. Thanks for all your help Dave.

:)
We offer no guarantees and ultimately you have responsibility as to whether to trust the answers or not. However I can assure you many of the members here answer from experience and knowledge.

Good luck with your course. I hope you get time to check our E-book Volume on digital electronics.

Dave

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
Well, I've found a great site here and planning to stay for a long time. Hopefully I can provide some help as I learn more.
So are you an engineer Dave?

Nhat

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Well, I've found a great site here and planning to stay for a long time. Hopefully I can provide some help as I learn more.
Welcome aboard! I hope you make use of the resources and experience we have here at AAC.

So are you an engineer Dave?
Yes I am from apprentice through undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Sadly my current position makes me do more maths than engineering; hopefully once my current research proposal goes through I can get back to frying stuff and programming!

Dave

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
Sounds great Dave. Hopefully, I'll be where you're at someday. Dave, did you get to check out my other thread, there's some more questions in the other one. I think they're a little trickier. Thanks

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Sounds great Dave. Hopefully, I'll be where you're at someday. Dave, did you get to check out my other thread, there's some more questions in the other one. I think they're a little trickier. Thanks
No problem, I will have a look later when I get home from work.

Dave