0-9 up/down counter

corepride

Joined Mar 17, 2013
hello, can somebody help me how can I do a 0-9 up/down counter to a 7-segment. Well, I'm very new to this, I don't even know how to do a up or down counter alone. even what ICs will i use. Someone please give me the step by step instructions ( just the procedure or some suggestions, I will do the logic myself). thanks in advance. :D

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You can using the search function on the top right corner to search "up/down counter", there are much more infos, you should read them first.

corepride

Joined Mar 17, 2013
sorry. My idea is to use 74ls47 and connect it to the 7 segment. I just dont know what IC should i use for the input. I know flipflops but i havent used it yet in a
n experiment.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It would help to understand what you are supposed to be learning (or demonstrating that you have learned) from this assignment. Are you supposed to be showing that you can design a state machine? If so, then using a counter IC is probably not allowed. But if you are just showing that you can design various circuits using an SSI parts library, the a counter IC is probably the way to go.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, it occurred to me that this was in the homework forum and hence I suspect the op is required to design the counter using flip-flops.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Probably, but he needs to make that clear. We aren't psychics. Yet.

And if he is supposed to use flip flops and he goes and uses a counter IC, then I supposed he deserves whatever happens.

corepride

Joined Mar 17, 2013
actually it will be our last assignment/experiment for the semester. I think our professor just want us to see what we might do for the next sem. She even gave a hint that we are suppose to use something like 74LS193. She also said that we can do anything as long as we reach the goal (up/down counter 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1). sorry again.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
The 74LS193 is a binary up/down counter where the pulses goes into UP (5) or DOWN (4) for counting up or down.

Since you are counting 0-9 then 9-0 you need to do some checking on "9" and force it to count down. When it reaches "0", you have to check again to force it to count up or else it would continue to count through "0" to 15, 14, 13, 12 ..... etc.

An interesting exercise.:D

Allen

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And I can't quite tell if it is supposed to continue (so go to 0 and then count up again) or if it is supposed to stop at 1 after counting down. Either would be reasonable requirements for an assignment like this. Both require about the same amount of additional logic.