Missing Image:Vol.3 Ch.2 Pg.5

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Okay, so another missing image, this time in: Vol.3 Ch.2 Pg.5.
This page is missing this image:
In the first paragraph, the reference link, above where the image is missing, references the wrong image(03403.png), yet the reference link below it, in the following paragraph references the missing image(03402.png).

If this is a bit confusing, I made a image explaining the problem:

Attachments

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
tshuck,

The short explanation is that AAC breaks a chapter into separate section html pages. While a ink within a chapter, single html page, at ibiblio is not a problem there, AAC has trouble linking to the broken out sections, html pages.

This is the location of the image at AAC
http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/03402.png
which is displayed on the bottom of this page: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_2/3.html

The link should point to the target near that image on the above page.

At ibiblio the link points to a target on the image on the same page. In other words, The link jumps you there. The PDF link refers to a figure number on a previous book page; you flip back to a previous page in the book.

AAC is different in that a whole chapter at ibiblio is one very long page. At AAC that chapter is broken into sections, an html page for each section.

AAC can only link to images on the same html section page. ACC is not presently able to link to an image on another (section) page.

The administrator cannot easily fix links to another page, without ibiblio listing the Section number where the image/target resides. It is not a problem at ibiblio since all sections are on the same page (for a given volume).

One possibility is for ibiblio to include the section number in the .sml that the link points to. It is likely that this will break existing AAC scripts if they use .sml . Not a way to win friends. A revised AAC script could, in theory, use this information. If AAC uses the HTML at ibiblio, it won't break the AAC scripts. But, that doesn't solve the problem.

Not directly related to this post, there are about 3 or 4 similar related linking problems affecting perhaps 100 links.

It might be useful to collect all the linking problems in one place to be solved at a later date.

If there were only one (or not too many) of these "missing image": linking problems (subset), inserting an (extra) image, or removing the link would look attractive. However, there are numerous linking issues out there.

My choice would be a general solution solving them all, without disrupting the operation of AAC . If AAC were to agree that changing the sml to include section numbers with the links would be helpful and not disruptive, I would be interested.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Thank you for the long exposee, Dennis.

I think you should let it be for now. It is highly unlikely that that script will change in the foreseeable future.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Yeah, I thought it might be so after looking at the ibiblio site and seeing the image there.

Since the AAC admins are mostly hands off AAC, I think this may be a long process to fix them. Perhaps it may be best to do as you say and create a list of the errors for later addressing.

If the need ever arises, I'd be willing to help...