Internet 2010 in numbers

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
To see that figure is kind of discouraging. I guess there is no way that the botnet computers can be remotely disinfected.
Until people learn to be as careful with their computers with an infection as themselves with a cold, then spam will prevail via botnet.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Then think 98% of pc's in nigeria are setup as superbots. I saw a special on it where this one organized crime group setup about 100 computers in 1 room having 100 employees just spamming and returning spam. They even had another location already set up with computers for when the cops got there. It was crazy
Even with low cost labour I don't see that being able to keep up with a network of infested PCs. Even my friends are sending me spam.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What do I see max's posts as dots?

I checked his other posts and I am seeing ......... for most of his other posts too.

Looks like they were all edited at around 12:30 AM my time today. Very strange.

Maybe a font I do not have?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Naw, he's pissed for some reason and is deleting his posts. I'm not sure if I did it or not, hope it wasn't me. It could be, I speak pretty plainly sometimes, and it doesn't always come out right.

I have sent 2 or 3 PM's the last being an apology.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One possible guess, and it is a pure guess. Something about having the site under Florida jurisdiction?

I suspect he'll be back to finish the job later today. Darn shame though, there are a lot of threads that will have major holes in them.

Then the hue and cry to remove what is a unique ability to this forum will result, diminishing it even further. I use the long term edit ability for many of my articles. My LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers (forum edition) has been a work in progress for 1½ years for example.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Who gives a flying squirrel (the normal word after flying would be banned) where the server resides? That is just plain weird.

Some forums I am on, do not allow editing after a certain amount of time. Not sure if I like that or no but after seeing this incident, I might land on doing it.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
To see that figure is kind of discouraging. I guess there is no way that the botnet computers can be remotely disinfected.
If ever there was a legitimate use for the varied skills required to "hack" it is developing some method of permanently fouling sources of spam and other viral maladies......though it would be like killing terrorists........every one dispatched, ya get ten to take its place. :rolleyes:

'ow in 'ell do you win that one ??

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If ever there was a legitimate use for the varied skills required to "hack" it is developing some method of permanently fouling sources of spam and other viral maladies......though it would be like killing terrorists........every one dispatched, ya get ten to take its place. :rolleyes:

'ow in 'ell do you win that one ??
Uh yeah..... the word 'hack' is used incorrectly here and it is perfectly legitimate to hack, as the word only means modifying to suit a new purpose. Cracking is probably what you mean, but even so it's not illegal unless done without permission, for example a company may hire a cracker to test their system security.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Having a server physically within a jurisdiction, such as the same state, means they have to answer to state, county, city, (and neighborhood) governments. They can (within the limits of the law and slightly beyond) pretty much subpoena anything they want.

Last edited: