Some overpowering Bass Headphones recommendation

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Hello there!

In the previous thread I came to a conclusion that I would buy Sennheisers. But now I will change my mind because no Sennheisers give such overpowering Bass response. So can you suggest a good headphone brand and its model which provides overpowering bass and muddy highs below $45? Thanks

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
Hello there!
In the previous thread I came to a conclusion that I would buy Sennheisers. But now I will change my mind because no Sennheisers give such overpowering Bass response.
That's just not true... the Sennheiser HD25-1 II model I mentioned in the other thread have a superb bass response - partly because their design as a closed back 'pro' phone holds them quite tight to your ears. Response down to 16Hz...how low do you want to go?....
Hi - sensitivity too, with a max SPL of 120dB -- so you can get as much bass as you want! (Might make your ears bleed a bit at the max!)..

Not cheap - certainly more than $45 - but still way less money than those dreadful 'Beats'!

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hello there!

In the previous thread I came to a conclusion that I would buy Sennheisers. But now I will change my mind because no Sennheisers give such overpowering Bass response. So can you suggest a good headphone brand and its model which provides overpowering bass and muddy highs below $45? Thanks
I assume that is a joke?

The whole point of good headphones is that produce the sound accurately and don't add bass resonances or booming like cheap phones and speakers do.

Many people don't realize that cheap speakers and phones are designed to intentionally boost bass because it sounds "better" to most people so they get used to distorted sound and don't like true sound.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
This kid has no idea what he wants.
"Overpowering bass" and "muddy highs" does NOT equal "good audio quality".. its the exact opposite.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I don't know of anyone who is willing to recommend something that meets your specifications. You might as well ask them about headphones they will not recommend to their friends and clients. That will give you a list of poor sounding headphones, at which you can find the cheapest ones and spend up to 45 dollars finding a set that satisfies your specification.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I've always found it funny that the least accurate component in any sound system is the human ear.
and

Actually the least accurate component in the reproducing hardware is the speakers. Typical woofers can introduce 3% THD or more.
Looking at the frequency response of my ears ... I tend to go with Bill's statement. My higher frequency detector is completely broke, so all the sounds become "interesting" when someone speaks, let alone, music.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The point is, this statement is nonesense:

I've always found it funny that the least accurate component in any sound system is the human ear.
By definition, accurate sound reproduction is a system which reproduces WHAT THE EAR HEARS. Ergo, the ear can not be the "least accurate component", it is the reference. And yes, some of us old guys have HF loss but that's not the point either: most of us still hear well enough to discern the typical muddy resonances, THD, phase distortion, high frequency beaming and all the other anomalies that typical loudspeakers introduce.

The ear is not the problem. Reproducing the sound correctly for the ear is the problem.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Problem is, every ear hears differently, different roll offs, notches in frequency response, in the end it is very subjective. Spending money on high frequency response for me would be a waste, whereas a younger person would definitely miss it if it weren't there. What sounds good to one person would not sound reasonable to another.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My point is the best possible audio system is wasted on my poor hearing. My hearing rolls off at a little past 1 kHz, so the enjoyment of music is limited in the audio range, let alone the voice range.

The OP already went from "great sounding headphones."

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Problem is, every ear hears differently, different roll offs, notches in frequency response, in the end it is very subjective. Spending money on high frequency response for me would be a waste, whereas a younger person would definitely miss it if it weren't there. What sounds good to one person would not sound reasonable to another.

Agreed, I lost a set of high frequencies when I worked in the steel, at a high speed can plant.
All within 6 months.

Haven't had a hearing test since, so I may be lacking even more.:confused:

I highly doubt that I'll ever get those frequencies back..??

Hey, as long as I can still hear those Monster Bass Guitar frequencies, I'm happy.:D

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
By definition, accurate sound reproduction is a system which reproduces WHAT THE EAR HEARS.
I'm going to argue that. :)

Good sound reproduction involves recording the sound with a flat frequency response mic, and playing back on a system with flat frequency resonse (or has been eq'ed to flat) so the reproduced sound is exactly the same as the original sound.

To the listener, the reproduced sound will sound EXACTLY like the original sound, if they did back to back listening tests.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Read what I said:

Originally Posted by bountyhunter
By definition, accurate sound reproduction is a system which reproduces WHAT THE EAR HEARS.
The word reproduce means:

re·pro·duce

verb \ˌrē-prə-ˈdüs, -ˈdyüs\ : to make a copy of (something)
: to produce something that is the same as or very similar to (something else)
: to cause (something) to happen again in the same way
That means exactly what I said: accurate sound reproduction from the system (by definition) means it must reproduce the original sound, ergo it recreates what the ears hear when they listened to the original source.

Not complicated.

The ears have nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of the reproducing system, the ears may affect the listeners ability to REALIZE whether or not the sound system is good but that's irrelevant to what I said. An "accurate" system reproduces the same sound as the original, which is what the ears heard at the live performance.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Which is ultimately judged by the ear, what is what the final product is designed to feed. We can use instruments to measure many things, but people are still arguing tubes vs. transistors and more. The ear is the final arbiter, and some folks ears are not up to doing very well at the task.

If I think something sounds great, but someone else thinks it is lacking, who is wrong?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Read what I said:
Sorry Bountyhunter that was a definite misunderstanding on my part. :)

I thought you had stated the job of sound reproduction was to get the correct sound AFTER the ear (ie; person's ear is included in the loop), when as we both know the ear is not relevant and the speaker should reproduce the original sound in the air.

So the wording of the original point might be wrong, but it still remains valid in concept; that the biggest problem with a person listening to sound reproduction is imperfection of their ears (not smaller imperfections in the electronic sound reproduction).

We've all seen those people buying "oxygen free monster speaker cables" and "pointy feet for their HiFi" and talking about the "big sound improvement" they can hear; ;)

http://www.superspikes.com/