Accent modifying device / Verizon tech support.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
First off Verizon tech support sucks. Every time I call they want me to go through a whole list of things to try. I had already done those things reset modem, router, PC, check connections etc. etc. Basic trouble shooting crap that I deal with all the time. But they still give me a hard time about their procedure and 99.9% of the time, the issue is on their end when I call

Recently I had to call again. This time it was a bad modem which I later determined myself with no help from them.

I have no idea where their call center is but the tech support people are always hard to understand. On these couple of calls, what I noticed was the at least two of the people I talked to had a very mechanical sounding voice. One had very little to no accent except for what I can best describe as a mechanical accent. The other had a slight accent but again very mechanical or computer sounding. Being that so many people complain about the horrible accents at tech support, is it possible they have some kind of accent modifying device? Seems kind of not possible to do it in real time or would it be?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I was just at the Verizon tech support center. Its a bunch of older white american guys just laughing their ass off as they imitate an Indian accent.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Most tech support sucks.
Here's the gist of a conversation I had with my ISP a while ago:
Tech support: What operating system are you using?
Me: Ubuntu
Tech support: We only support Windows and Mac
Me: Ok give me 10 minutes and I'll drag out my old windows box and boot it up
Tech support: OK
Me: I can't connect with Windows either
Tech support: Is the light flashing on the router?
Me: Why do I need to be running Windows to look at the light on my router?
Tech support: Silence.......... We don't support Linux

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Call centers are thick here. Seems the Dakotas/Nebraska have the most understandable accent or something like that. No, NOT "Fargo" speak, that's Minnesota-ish. I guess it's a lack of an accent more than having a particular one.

Yes, I've met some one India that work in a call center here (many from India actually work here), and it's hilarious. They sound just like those who speak "American" (as seen in movies, etc), but he could turn his thick Indian Accent on and off like a switch, it's hilarious. He can also mimic a good British accent, Aussie, and Southern.

I guess when you are on the phone all day, you gotta try something new to keep it interesting.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
First off Verizon tech support sucks. Every time I call they want me to go through a whole list of things to try. I had already done those things reset modem, router, PC, check connections etc. etc. Basic trouble shooting crap that I deal with all the time. But they still give me a hard time about their procedure and 99.9% of the time, the issue is on their end when I call

Recently I had to call again. This time it was a bad modem which I later determined myself with no help from them.

I have no idea where their call center is but the tech support people are always hard to understand. On these couple of calls, what I noticed was the at least two of the people I talked to had a very mechanical sounding voice. One had very little to no accent except for what I can best describe as a mechanical accent. The other had a slight accent but again very mechanical or computer sounding. Being that so many people complain about the horrible accents at tech support, is it possible they have some kind of accent modifying device? Seems kind of not possible to do it in real time or would it be?
I usually start the conversation off by saying, I've reset the modem/unplugged for 15 seconds, restarted all the equipment, etc. That way, they can stick to the point in the flowchart where it gives some decent suggestions, like checking the state of service in the area!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would still like to know if it is possible to modify a voice in real time. It at least sounds like what is going on there.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Perhaps they are simply typing the response into a voice sythesizer...?

Would that be possible real time? You would have to be a really fast typist. There did not seem like much of a delay on their end of the conversation.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Would that be possible real time? You would have to be a really fast typist. There did not seem like much of a delay on their end of the conversation.
I think it could be done, I've seen some really fast typists.

I have 'held' a conversation with people using Google translate and typing responses... my listeners only have to wait for a few minutes for a reply:eek:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I would still like to know if it is possible to modify a voice in real time. It at least sounds like what is going on there.
Many call centers are in India. Some cases, the same call center does support for several manufacturers/services. They simply follow the flow chart that pops up based on the information the user entered on their phone getting in.

The better ones, trying to improve their image, actually have "Accent Trainers" give seminars to the employees, resulting in a rather formal/strict pronunciation of some words due to trying not to "Sound like tech support in India".

The mechanical voice you heard could have been live voice synth, but I'd think they'd use at least "American" accent synth if they went the text to speech route. I can type about as fast as I can talk, so it's possible.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Since 99% of what tech support does is follow a pre-written script/flowchart, why can't they record the list of question?

If they need to go off script, they can just play a "please hold while I transfer you to the next level tech" clip as they either do transfer, or just turn their mic on.