ZVS, output? and rectifying

Tomtom001

Joined Jan 8, 2018
Hello! My name is Tom and I would really appreciate if someone could shed some clarity on these particular driver circuits, I've tried searching but can find no definitive answers.

The goal is a compact 200w 10kv DC power supply powered by battery source.

As i understand it a true flyback is driven by a high frequency dc square wave, the secondary coil will have a diode in series with the output, so when primary is on energy is not transferred to the secondary because of the diode, it is stored in the ferrite core, on the rapid primary switch off the field collapses, primary is now open circuit all energy is transferred to the secondary through the now conducting diode.
This results in a high frequency pulsed DC output.

However I would like to use a zvs driver circuit because of the relative simplicity, hi power capabilitys and operating at the coils own resonant frequency.
This is where I am having a issue in understanding, I believe these are not actually a flyback driver at all. Using a push pull topology surely means that the primary is fed an AC square wave at high frequencies resulting in the secondary outputting AC surely, as in a standard transformer?

So my questions are will putting a diode on the secondary chop half the power on a zvs driver and is a full Bridge rectifier required to obtain full power DC from these drivers. Also if it is operating as a normal AC transformer how is the high voltage obtained and why does it not follow the normal transformer winding turns rule?

I've had great enjoyment in learning about Transformers and driver circuitry, I think I've grasp the concept now but please help me if I'm getting something wrong here. Many thanks Tom

Tomtom001

Joined Jan 8, 2018
Perhaps I'm over complicating things? I'm sure it requires a full wave rectifier and it is just the high frequency resonance that produces the voltage hike in a zvs?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello! My name is Tom and I would really appreciate if someone could shed some clarity on these particular driver circuits, I've tried searching but can find no definitive answers.

The goal is a compact 200w 10kv DC power supply powered by battery source.

As i understand it a true flyback is driven by a high frequency dc square wave, the secondary coil will have a diode in series with the output, so when primary is on energy is not transferred to the secondary because of the diode, it is stored in the ferrite core, on the rapid primary switch off the field collapses, primary is now open circuit all energy is transferred to the secondary through the now conducting diode.
This results in a high frequency pulsed DC output.

However I would like to use a zvs driver circuit because of the relative simplicity, hi power capabilitys and operating at the coils own resonant frequency.
This is where I am having a issue in understanding, I believe these are not actually a flyback driver at all. Using a push pull topology surely means that the primary is fed an AC square wave at high frequencies resulting in the secondary outputting AC surely, as in a standard transformer?

So my questions are will putting a diode on the secondary chop half the power on a zvs driver and is a full Bridge rectifier required to obtain full power DC from these drivers. Also if it is operating as a normal AC transformer how is the high voltage obtained and why does it not follow the normal transformer winding turns rule?

I've had great enjoyment in learning about Transformers and driver circuitry, I think I've grasp the concept now but please help me if I'm getting something wrong here. Many thanks Tom

Please post the battery pack that supplies your 200W 10kV system. We can work from there.

Tomtom001

Joined Jan 8, 2018
Thank you, I do apologise I should have made that clear.
The power source for this can be seen as perfect 24v, for mobile use I plan on using two series 3-cell lithium polymer 2200 mah high c rated rc batteries, but on my bench at the moment I have two new large valve regulated lead acid leisure batteries for testing. Sustained output will never be required.
Thanks

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""goal is a compact 200w 10kv DC power""
I warmly reccomend to take a look into Czecz genius Danyk homepage. There are English explained lots of circuits on this topic, thus You shall economy the mass of time and (please pardon, its unavoidable) material resources of burnt details.
www.danyk.cz and inside push the English flag

Tomtom001

Joined Jan 8, 2018
GopherT it is purely self educational and proof of concept for myself, unrectified for a Jacob's Ladder, lifters, ion motor, voltage doublers, perhaps when I'm fully to grips small resonant air core coils. The interest is in learning and the fun is in building.
I thought that understanding the output of a zvs driven flyback would be the best place to start.

Janis thankyou, there is a wealth of information on his site I'm currently at work but will read through it fully this evening.