Zener diode help

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
A missing letter in between, better to see on the circuit after that zener any capacitor. And what components near to it.

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
On one side it looks lik it can bee tt1 or dty
And on the other sode its more broken u can just see a 1 and a N at the end and on the bottom of the 1 it looks like a W

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
Was it connected across the motor connections?
No it wasnt connected across It was in a shrink tube soldiered with the positive wire which fell off the rca connection so i tried cleanin it up to resoldier it and then the shrink tube fell off the red wire so i tried cutting the shrink tube off to see wat diode to get to replace it but it broke

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
I do not think it is a Zener. A plain diode to prevent reverse turning of the motor in case polarity is reversed. Does the machine would work wrongly if spins in reverse ?

As guess, a 3 Ampere rectifier in series to the motor, unless better opinions...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I do not think it is a Zener. A plain diode to prevent reverse turning of the motor in case polarity is reversed. Does the machine would work wrongly if spins in reverse ?

As guess, a 3 Ampere rectifier in series to the motor, unless better opinions...
Or it could also be a snubber

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017

No it works fine if it were to spin the other way would it matter if i didnt have the diode connected to it then?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
No it works fine if it were to spin the other way would it matter if i didnt have the diode connected to it then?
It's most probably a snubber two-way zener diode then, and it's probably important to protect the driver's components. What voltage is being used to run the motor?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
Then if you were to replace that diode with a couple of zeners of 10 to 12V mounted back to back it should be ok.
Also do the diodes help the motor run consistently or its it just to prevent the motor from damaging? I have another machine with a upgraded motor but it doesnt hav a diode n it runs at a certain speed but slows down often then picks back up to the voltage

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Also do the diodes help the motor run consistently or its it just to prevent the motor from damaging? I have another machine with a upgraded motor but it doesnt hav a diode n it runs at a certain speed but slows down often then picks back up to the voltage
It prevents the electronics driving the motor (i.e. transistors, mosfets and the like) from getting damaged by the inductive spikes caused by the motor's commutation and possibly also the PWM driving it. The diode is not there to protect the motor, but rather the circuit that controls its power and speed. In a way, the diode is more important than the motor.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Loks, does the motor spin in only one direction by design? Was it connected in series with one of the wires feeding the motor, or was it connected between (across) the two wires connected to it?