Zener diode help

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
Loks, does the motor spin in only one direction by design? Was it connected in series with one of the wires feeding the motor, or was it connected between (across) the two wires connected to it?
It was just connected on the red wire in shrink tubing

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It was just connected on the red wire in shrink tubing
That is very strange... but the diode is probably there to prevent the back flow of current from the motor as it slows down its spin when its turned off.
In that case, an ordinary 1N4004 or even a 1N4148 should do the trick, just make sure you connect it in the proper orientation, or the motor won't even start.

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
Loks, does the motor spin in only one direction by design? Was it connected in series with one of the wires feeding the motor, or was it connected between (across) the two wires connected to it?
And yes it spins in one direction but it if it were to spin the other way it wouldnt affect the machine from performing
That is very strange... but the diode is probably there to prevent the back flow of current from the motor as it slows down its spin when its turned off.
In that case, an ordinary 1N4004 or even a 1N4148 should do the trick, just make sure you connect it in the proper orientation, or the motor won't even start.
will do thanx alot for ur help i really appropriate it buddy

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
And yes it spins in one direction but it if it were to spin the other way it wouldnt affect the machine from performing

will do thanx alot for ur help i really appropriate it buddy
Can i get another link from a site to order it from

Loks13

Joined Sep 19, 2017
I cant thank u enought for all the help you've given me.. will those work the same even tho they dont look like the ones i originally had on the machine? Same thing just a differnt look not bein orange with a black strip

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I cant thank u enought for all the help you've given me.. will those work the same even tho they dont look like the ones i originally had on the machine? Same thing just a differnt look not bein orange with a black strip
They should work just fine, and maybe better since they have more current capability in them, with very little voltage drop.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Thanx alot for all the help ima order a few so ill keep u updated wen i get them :D hope u enjoy the rest of ur day
Loks, one more thing. Could you measure the voltage being delivered to the motor via the connector pins at the board? That is, the voltage between wires before they're connected to the diode?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm thinking that your power supply might be 12VDC, and according to what I found about your motor after doing some Googling, that thing is rated to run at 5 to 6VDC. So your diode might be a standard 5.1V zener after all. Anyway, since a 1N4004 has a voltage drop of 1.1V, you can get the same results by connecting six of them in series.

EDIT: changed quantity of diodes in series from five to six

Last edited: