Your favourite non-fiction book

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
The Blue Nile, The White Nile, and The Seven Pillars of Wisdom (autobiography of "Lawrence of Arabia") first two are about explorations/first attempts to "civilize" different regions of the Nile River. Last one is obvious. Very good, should be read by all modern politicians, military, etc...

Art of War is full of tips that can be applied in every area. And I believe modern China has carefully followed the book - they own the world not by war but through economics ;)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
"The Soul of a New Machine" by Kidder once had a big influence on me, but I hesitate to recommend it today.
That book is still sitting on my bookshelf. I can identify with the story in that book because I grew up on DEC PDP/8, 9, 11, 15 and DG NOVA 2, 3, 4 and Eclipse machines.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
My non fiction favorite book is Main Kamph by Adolf Hitler.
But please do not consider my self dictator.
I highly recommend it as an essential read. An important book. Remember that it was written in 1925. Not many books are written by figures such as Hitler that offer us a view into what they were and how they came to be...

Many bookstores do not carry it due to its "message", but I strongly disagree as an informed opinion can only be made from hearing all sides of the story.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Books I keep within reach when I'm at work:

An Embedded Software Primer: David E. Simon
UNIX Network Programming: W. Richard Stevens
Verilog HDL: Simir Palnitkar
VHDL Design: James R. Armstrong, F. Gail Gray
MicroC/OS-II: Jean J. Labrosse
VBA For Dummies.