FPGA: what is your favourite manufacturer ?

simozz

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi,

I am actually professionally working with Zynq series FPGA from Xilinx, but I would like to know opinions about other manufacturers.

I used Quartus a couple of times for small tests on Cyclone FPGA, so I cannot judge their tools a lot, but of course I know that Intel Cyclone has an arquitecture similar to Zynq.

I know that Lattice manufactures FPGAs as well but never used them.

What is your experience and satisfaction with FPGAs and development tools other than Xilinx ?

Thanks.
s.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Long time Lattice fan from back in the CPLD days. I've used Altera (pre-Intel) and Xilinx, but when I get to choose, I choose Lattice.

ak

andrewmm

Joined Feb 25, 2011
Hi,

I am actually professionally working with Zynq series FPGA from Xilinx, but I would like to know opinions about other manufacturers.

I used Quartus a couple of times for small tests on Cyclone FPGA, so I cannot judge their tools a lot, but of course I know that Intel Cyclone has an arquitecture similar to Zynq.

I know that Lattice manufactures FPGAs as well but never used them.

What is your experience and satisfaction with FPGAs and development tools other than Xilinx ?

Thanks.
s.
Lattice, lovely parts, but very dis jointed tools . Primeraly due to most of the parts being results of taking over over companies and their tools . Parts are also "special" in that different families suit different types of jobs, more so than the other companies.

Xilinx, Great FPGAs , provided you are using more recent FPGAs tools OK, . The old tools were fantastic for the FPGAs they supported, but Xilinx has dropped the old tools, and no longer work on W10. The CPLDs are great, but the CPLD tools are part of the none supported EOL line,
Xilinx have also dropped support for VHDL. Its just hanging on,

Intel. Used to have great FPGAs under Altera, better than Xilinx, but they seem to have lost their way in recent years. Trying to tie FPGAs into Xeon chips.
They also have the old Acronix , which is the asynchronous FPGA company that they cant seem to make mind up on.
IP cores all seem to cost money from intel, where as other companies have much larger free / built in range of IP.
But the Intel IP does seem to be better.

MicroChip, The old Atmel, a very dis jointed set of chips and programs to use them, I seem to remember their Igloo range is the old Phillips semi range.. Ive not much experiance with theses,