Your favorite breadboard cleaner?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any ideas for cleaning up a breadboard?

I've found on this forum a number of contact cleaner alternatives such as WD-40 and low-water isopropyl alcohol (IPA), or both. Using IPA to remove the residual mineral oil left from the WD-40 seems popular. I have both on hand.

My breadboard is old but not too bad. It's not badly corroded (the cats didn't have the pleasure of peeing into it), it's just used and a little dirty from that normal use.

I'm starting a new project soon and my board is empty. I've already vacuumed out the grunge and now I want to freshen it up. I'm not interested in buying some super expensive magic spray.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You're supposed to clean them?:confused:
I guess I would use soapy water and a hair dryer.
Maybe followed by a day in the attic to dehumidify it.
There's no flux. What could get in there except fingerprints and dust?
If there's nothing exotic in it, don't use anything exotic to clean it.

The ones I'm used to were plastic, pins and a paper backing. If you loose the paper backing, you'd have a bunch of pins to contend with.

So, I'd go with something mechanical: air, brush etc. What to use to clean the plastic depends on the crud.

Remember the old chemistry thich where you end with something that displaces water and evaporates quickly. e.g. IPA

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If there's nothing exotic in it, don't use anything exotic to clean it.
I think a lot of the contamination is from, I think, occasionally using tinned wire instead of sticking to clean copper. So the crud is like the stuff that grows on the tip of a soldering iron. Black, oxidized crap. There's not much of it and I'd probably be fine just leaving it.