You know you are getting OLD When...................

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You know you are getting OLD When

You see a major municipal building both built *and* torn down.
Actually, I don't think this will be nearly the indicator going forward that it has been in the past.

My high school was both built and torn down within my memory. My dad's high school, within walking distance of mine, was built well before he was born and is still in use today (although not as a primary high school, but still as part of the educational system) more than a century later.

The huge mall that was built about a mile away from my house when I was in junior high has already been torn down, but several nearby shopping plazas that are decades older are still there.

The physics building at my college was the newest building on campus for decades but instead of renovating it when it's time finally came around it was simply torn down.

The common reason all of these had was that the construction was so shoddy on all of them that it was simple not economically viable to maintain/repair/renovate them.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This was a stark contrast I found when moving to N.A. from the UK, Where there it seemed, it did not matter when the building was built, you just restored it and/or renovated it, It seemed to me incomprehensible that buildings here that were only some few decades old would be razed and completely rebuilt!.
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This was a stark contrast I found when moving to N.A. from the UK, Where there it seemed, it did not matter when the building was built, you just restored it and/or renovated it, It seemed to me incomprehensible that buildings here that were only some few decades old would be razed and completely rebuilt!.
Max.
I think a lot of the problems in this regard in the U.S. stem from the post-WWII economic expansion and Cold War mindset. Both of these lent a huge premium on getting buildings up and functioning in very short order and the competition was fierce so builders focused on what the customer wanted most -- time-to-completion and cost. The notion of longevity of the facility wasn't even on the list in most cases. I suspect there was also more than a little bit of why-build-it-to-last-since-we'll-get-nuked-next-week mentality at play, as well. Unlike much of Europe, North America still had lots of room to grow and so the need to repurpose/revitalize existing structures was much less.

I think that then morphed into a general acceptance of shoddy building practices, though to be fair while there were certainly plenty of outright crooks in the construction business, I think a lot of it really had to do with a huge explosion of available materials and techniques that builders truly believed offered adequate quality with superior cost and time savings. It wasn't until decades later that serious longevity issues with with some of these new fangled things became evident.