XP $99 upgrade at Dell

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Dell's new computers offer XP as a $99 upgrade from Vista. So much for change you can believe in. Glad I didn't buy Visa when it was the greatest.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Mainly because Vista is an exceptionally bad OS. Almost no applications work with it. There should be a $99 credit to you if you don't fall back to XP.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Mainly because Vista is an exceptionally bad OS. Almost no applications work with it. There should be a $99 credit to you if you don't fall back to XP.
I am using XP because I don't like Vista but maybe the applications are quite old and are not compatible with Vista.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have a garage of older hardware that won't work with Vista. I am not a believer in this new OS myself. I do not buy or build a computer to support my OS, I buy an OS to support my computer.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
I'm still running 2000. It works just fine & dandy. :)
Same here but more and more new applications don't work with win2k. So much for Microsoft backward compatibility.
Latest casualty is my anti-virus software, the license is almost expired but the new version doesn't run under win2K, guess I'll have to look around for a different brand as I have no intentions of "upgrading"? to Vista.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I got Vista with my new PC.
The moment I unpacked it I made the Vista partition smaller to have LINUX on it.
I am using SUSE 10.3 linux and can do what I want.(using it right now).
The system is now dual boot.
For specific windows programs I can use the laptop from my work.

Greetings,
Bertus

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
I have a garage of older hardware that won't work with Vista. I am not a believer in this new OS myself. I do not buy or build a computer to support my OS, I buy an OS to support my computer.
Ditto for me. I see no real reason to switch to Vista anytime soon as XP is going to be supported for a while longer. That, and "Windows 7" is due to come out sometime mid-year I heard . . . I wonder how that's gonna fly?

stellarpower

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Why is it that everyone hates vista? I have it on some of my computers, and it's not that bad. It doesn't work with everything, but it's new features are pretty good.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Why should I HAVE to buy new hardware to support an OS? That is putting the cart so far ahead of the horse the two will never meet.

I don't hate Vista, I just don't have a use for it.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There are even linux versions that run on the very old 386 systems (usefull as a firewall).

Greetings,
Bertus

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
I downloaded the Windows 7 beta but as of yet I do not have a spare machine big enough that I'm willing to infect with it.

It does sound like a better OS than Vista though.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's only a better OS if it plays well with third party apps. Vista forced an upgrade to the computer to handle the eye candy, and created problems with most software that ran under XP.

It's great marketing if you can sell an OS that means all new computers and repurchasing all apps, but who can realistically afford to just dump everything every few years?

I'll probably wait for W7 SP1 before making a decision.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
It's great marketing if you can sell an OS that means all new computers and repurchasing all apps, but who can realistically afford to just dump everything every few years?
Considering the lay-offs at Microsoft, I suspect the marketing aspect backfired. Last year was very poor timing to practice consumer-driven economics.