Xfinity cable modem help

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi folks i have a rented wireless TG862,see link bellow
https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/dev...ris-tg862g-421

I want to get my own router and get rid of the 10 bucks+tax a month but i want it with just Internet+phone modem combo i actually have my own wireless router that i use cause the Tg862 doesn't work right with most of old wireless pc with win xp and Ubuntu,i'm checking out if this router see bellow link;if this is any good,or is there a better and reliable router with same characteristics that i can get a better internet cable connect for streaming live tv in high definition on my PC and android tv box,thanks

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/dev...ear-cm500v-629

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Huh? I've got the same XFinity hardware and it works fine with Ubuntu.

It's just TCP/IP, for Pete's sake.
Joeyd are you talking about the TG862 or other? if it's TG862 my main issue is the 10 bucks rental fee, it may work on Ubuntu on new computers but not on some old PC that i have and for sure not with Win xp,i have to have a Buffalo Wireless router with WRT software and i can say this buffalo with WRT software installed put TG862 to shame as wifi range for sure . so you gave me a lame advice,that's all you got?

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Actually pretty pricy,

$279.99
Shipping & Handling:
$11.24

Total before tax:
$291.23
Estimated tax to be collected:
$17.50

Grand Total:
$308.73
Do you know if it supports port redirection when forwarding incoming connections? I guess I could just download the manual.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
It looks like it does.

View attachment 136324

Neat, maybe I'll buy one...only 30 months to pay it off... Let me know how it works for you.

hI Joey actually i ended up to cancel from amazon and ordered from BestBuy cause AMAZON charged me shipment while BestBuy gave me free shipping ,it's not much but every penny counts,

$279.99
Shipping: FREE
Tax: $17.50
Discounts: -$0.00
ORDER TOTAL: $297.49

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi good folks;as i have stated that i was going to buy this router see link billow; but now i have a
big issue to connect to Comcast internet,i did call Comcast and activated the router,they say that they activated it and i can get all the led lights on from led but no internet no pages where to be found i tried on all my win 10 pc and win 8 and still the same,i've been struggling with Comcast personnel back and forth
and no solution so far,they want to send a tech over but it takes a few days to get here,meanwhile no internet,any you guys have this router Gears Nightawk AC1900, model#C7100V that youve me a hand,maybe there has to be a issue the the Computers configuration that needs to changed,since the auto repair and auto configure can't deal with it,i would appreciate if you could give a hand,,thanks.

ww.downloads.netgear.com/fil...00V_QSG_EN.pdf

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hi good folks;as i have stated that i was going to buy this router see link billow; but now i have a
big issue to connect to Comcast internet,i did call Comcast and activated the router,they say that they activated it and i can get all the led lights on from led but no internet no pages where to be found i tried on all my win 10 pc and win 8 and still the same,i've been struggling with Comcast personnel back and forth
and no solution so far,they want to send a tech over but it takes a few days to get here,meanwhile no internet,any you guys have this router Gears Nightawk AC1900, model#C7100V that youve me a hand,maybe there has to be a issue the the Computers configuration that needs to changed,since the auto repair and auto configure can't deal with it,i would appreciate if you could give a hand,,thanks.
Did you tell the Comcast agent to "roll and provision" the modem? I have no idea what this means, but they are magic words that, when you say them, the agent knows precisely what to do and everything works perfect afterward.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Did you tell the Comcast agent to "roll and provision" the modem? I have no idea what this means, but they are magic words that, when you say them, the agent knows precisely what to do and everything works perfect afterward.
thanks Joey for your input; i did tell that to them but they suppose to know in order to activate service!
but put that a side for now after much struggle back and forth with CS and tech guys at Comcast for 3 days i've finally got this connected to the internet,almost gave up and i was about to return the nighthawk 7100c Net-gears router,
they at Comcast said they would send tech to my house in 4 days,i did not want to wait that long without internet and phone,i told them that i would take out my Net-gears router and put back theirs Arris Tg862 so i would not stay without service and would continue with their router and i would return the Netgears ,so i started the activation of their router and everything went smoothly and successfully then i requested a better plan that wouldn't be much more then what i was previous paying for 25MBPS + phone was 96 bucks a month, so they offered me a plan with the lowest in phone and 100MBPS speed for 108.00 about 12 dollares more ,so i accepted,the upgrade service went ahead,then i checked my new 100MBPS speed and ping and something was not right special the pings one time i had like 60MBPS with pings on the 90's and one time 0 Ping with speed of 120,so i told them something was not right that their old router was getting crazy with so much speed could not handle it and phone not working ,so after so much complaining on my part CS guys passing to this tech to another tech, i suggested that the tech would come to my house bring new router of theirs if he couldn't install mine new Net-gear he would exchange for another Comcast router, finely and at last i got some real tech that told me he would be in my house in a mater of minutes,it took like 30 minutes for this tech to show at my house,he took their router out put mine and it was activated and running in 15 minutes or so,he left me with the Net-gear login menu so i took care of the rest security for wireless and that stuff.Now all my computers are running with a blast speed which is great.,

But now i have a bit of an issue and need your help with my Android TV boxes have 2 Oct-core 912 3 GB ram 32 gb storage, the issue is that i have them wired and also wireless but although they show, Ethernet cable and wireless connected i can't get on line,is there any configuration i can try either on the router main menu or in the tv boxes settings,on the tv boxes i have 2 ip settings DHCP or STATIC,when i change to STATIC it asks me to enter a valid IP Adress in DHCP i click and it say (saves successfully)
can you please help me to configure this in easy technical terms ,i've had too much grief with this Comcast service,but i have no other choice since there is no other internet service with this much MBPS speed, we another option but it's Verizon DSL with a crappy 12MBPS so we have to take it, and i'm getting old for this, i would appreciate any input on this thanks.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
But now i have a bit of an issue and need your help with my Android TV boxes have 2 Oct-core 912 3 GB ram 32 gb storage, the issue is that i have them wired and also wireless but although they show, Ethernet cable and wireless connected i can't get on line,is there any configuration i can try either on the router main menu or in the tv boxes settings,on the tv boxes i have 2 ip settings DHCP or STATIC,when i change to STATIC it asks me to enter a valid IP Adress in DHCP i click and it say (saves successfully)
can you please help me to configure this in easy technical terms ,i've had too much grief with this Comcast service,but i have no other choice since there is no other internet service with this much MBPS speed, we another option but it's Verizon DSL with a crappy 12MBPS so we have to take it, and i'm getting old for this, i would appreciate any input on this thanks.
I'd be happy to help.

But I don't deal well with breathless run-on sentences, nor the presence of commas where periods and white space should be.

Ask specific questions in an intelligible way, and I'll help you with specific answers.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
I'd be happy to help.

But I don't deal well with breathless run-on sentences, nor the presence of commas where periods and white space should be.

Ask specific questions in an intelligible way, and I'll help you with specific answers.

thank you for the lesson but i'm too old to learn better ,for the 4 year schooling in other native languish that i have i don't think that's too bad! i bet you if you and many other people knew half what i know /learned in all fields of trades you all would be masters with the little grades i have,from speaking a few foreign languishes, from playing music ,from pluming to repair electronics ,computers,you name it i do it,maybe sure i'm not that good in any of them and always learning;of course ,i'm a man of all trades and i'm proud of it,and all learned the hard way,one thing i never did was trying to downgrade people cause you don't know their status in life or if they had i chance to go to school instead of work to feed the family,i was one of those since i was 10 years old,but one thing i leaned people that know how to talk write well and nice most the times are not the smartest ones,i encountered people that thought they knew more than anybody else but in the end those were the damnest ones, they don't even know how to use a wrench and so on,and i can say all i know was leaned by myself.and to terminate i'll just say as they use this slang words in my native Country languish,for the good under-stander half a word will be sufficient to understand.
Now hope you don't take my words the wrong way and still want to help me!.and hope this time you will understand my issue.

Ok now my 8 computers work flawless with my new internet set up with my Net-gear NightHwak C7100v,
but my 2 Android TV streaming boxes 912 Oct-Core CPU wont go on line,and when i check the Ethernet Hard cable and wireless settings and connections, these are all connected and working with good signal,hope with one dot or one more or less coma i made myself understood?thanks

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
thank you for the lesson but i'm too old to learn better ,for the 4 year schooling in other native languish that i have i don't think that's too bad! i bet you if you knew half what i know and learned in all fields you would be a master with the grades i have,from speaking a half dozen languishes, from playing music with an instrument,from pluming to repair electronics ,computers,you name it i do it,maybe sure i'm not master in any of them but i can do it for me and my friends,i'm a man of trades and i'm proud of it,one thing i never did was trying to downgrade people cause i don't know their status in life or they had i chance to go to school instead of work to feed the family,i was one of those since i was 10 years old,so as you see ,people that know how to talk write right are not the smartest ones,i encountered people that thought they knew more than anybody else but in the end those were the damnest ones, they don't even know how to use a wrench and so on,and i can say all i know was leaned by myself.and terminate i'll just say as they use this slang in my native Country languish,for the good understand er half a word will be sufficient.
Now hope you don't take my words the wrong way and still want to help me!.and hope this time you will understand my issue.

Ok now my 8 computers work flawless with my new Net-gear NightHwak C7100v,
but my 2 Android TV streaming boxes 912 Oct-Core CPU wont go on line,and when i check the Ethernet Hard cable and wireless settings and connections,i have these are all connected and working with good signal,hope with one dot or more or less coma i made myself understood?thanks
TL;DR.