xenon lamp

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tnn, Dec 3, 2018.

1. tnn

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Hi,

a confirmation to avoid the worst ...

I changed a Xenon lamp ... the common trigger transformer, given the scheme that I got, must be connected on the positive lamp ... right?

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi tnn,
    All the Xenon tubes I have used have the trigger wire wrapped around the glass body, not connected to +V, only the single connection to the end of the trigger transformer.
    E
    Look here.
    http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/index.htm

3. tnn

Jul 21, 2017
    yes, even the lamp I use has the glass wrapped by the wire …

could you confirm that the connections as per the scheme are correct?

4. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi.
    Do you mean confirm the circuit you first posted.?
    The HV trigger wire connection looks ok.
    If you have also changed the trigger transformer its impossible to confirm, unless you have the datasheets for the original and replacement transformers

E

5. kubeek

Expert

Sep 20, 2005
    The schematic looks correct. If you changed just the lamp, why do you care how the trigger circuit is internally connected?

6. tnn

Jul 21, 2017
    to change the lamp, I have to desolder the wires from the lamp and the trigger transformer ...:(

the only thing I did not remember, the common trigger wire if it was combined with the positive or negative of the lamp:D

and so I had to get the wiring diagram to understand!:mad:

7. MisterBill2

Distinguished Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The trigger voltage must have a return connected to one side of the lamp. I had not been aware that it mattered which side. And it has always worked for me. Probably the sensitivity is different but I have not noticed. I do know that some xenon flash tubes have a polarity mark and different ends inside the glass.