Xenon flash circuit

maxgreen

Joined Nov 19, 2012
I am currently trying to build a xenon flash circuit with a voltage input of 6v or 12v, that I can connect to my optical slave flash unit.
The xenon flash circuit should not be a too complex circuit since I am new at this, but I of course know all the basics.
I also want to be able to fit the circuit into a plastic cover, just like a normal external camera flash, and therefore the unit should be as small as possible.
Does anyone know where I can find schematics on such a unit or maybe give me guidelines on how to start building the unit.

I found the following circuit http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/optical-flash.html, that seems to be very simple, but I am not able to find the inverter transformer anywhere besides their website, and this company has closed until late december. So is possible to build a similar circuit, just with another transformer that is possible to buy elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

xilinx2000

Joined Jul 21, 2011
Please refer to attached paper.

I am currently trying to build a xenon flash circuit with a voltage input of 6v or 12v, that I can connect to my optical slave flash unit.
The xenon flash circuit should not be a too complex circuit since I am new at this, but I of course know all the basics.
I also want to be able to fit the circuit into a plastic cover, just like a normal external camera flash, and therefore the unit should be as small as possible.
Does anyone know where I can find schematics on such a unit or maybe give me guidelines on how to start building the unit.

I found the following circuit http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/optical-flash.html, that seems to be very simple, but I am not able to find the inverter transformer anywhere besides their website, and this company has closed until late december. So is possible to build a similar circuit, just with another transformer that is possible to buy elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The one use cameras have that type of transformers in them. Don't know where your located(good thing to put in your member information) but in the US, most "Walgreen's" type drug stores will give you the empty camera bodies for free. And you get the complete charging circuit on one PCB.

maxgreen

Joined Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the document xilinx have attached and it is a very nice circuit and actually would fit my need, especially because it is very small.
But I haven't been able to find the component LT3468-1 that is mentioned in the document. Is this a unit you have tried to build before or do you know if I am able to buy this component anywhere?
Shortbus, I am from Denmark, and I actually tried to contact several shops that sells electronic components, and haven't been able to find anyone who sells transformers. The thing is that I might have my unit into production, and therefore I will not be able to just use one from a normal flash. But It's a good idea, because what I can do is try to open the flash and see if it is possible to make my own transformer by looking at the one in the flash.

maxgreen

Joined Nov 19, 2012
toffee_pie, as I know it, it is not possible to pull that much more voltages with charge pump circuit. Is it possible to go from a ex. 9 or 12 v to 300-400 volt with a charge pump circuit?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Maxgreen - didn't know you were going to build this for sale, thought it was a one-off hobby project.

Don't know if this will help but give it a try - http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/34850123fb.pdf On page 11 of that data sheet it gives a few companies and part numbers for the type transformer you need.

This link gives a bunch of IC's that contain the flash circuits needed - http://parametric.linear.com/xenon_photoflash_charger Maybe look at a few of them to get more transformer numbers too. Good luck in your project.

maxgreen

Joined Nov 19, 2012
actually this helps a lot. I my self look at the document you reference to, but didn't really see the company names of suppliers. The thing about photo flash charger is that I haven't been able to find any that can support big capacitors. The capacitor og probably capacitors (having several in parallel) is about 300-400v and at least 500uF. Have you seen any on the market that can support this size of capacitors or are those chargers only ment to small ones?