would usb 2.0 to ethernet adapter, reduce the internet speed. what is the fix

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi,
The lan port of my pc is damaged in the spike by the thunderstorm and lightning.
So, I had to use , a usb 2.0 ethernet adapter to plug in one of my usb port to get the internet.
But the speed is half of what I used to get from the direct ethernet port as before. My usual speed is 10.5mbps but , now on testing with internet speed sites, it gives only half , i.e 5 mbps at the maximum.
Could any one tell, why it is so , technically,
Please also say a fix for it, as I have no extra lan port in my pc.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
LAN is usually run off the PCI bus directly, while a USB dongle gets connected after a USB bridge connected to the PCI bus, which then probably gets broke down into one or more "hubs" on the motherboard itself before finally coming out as a USB connector on your PC. More or less a USB connection will never be as fast as a direct connection to the PCI buss.

It's also going to be affected by how many USB devices you have connected in total.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If your computer is not too old then you can buy a USB 3.0 interface card and a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter. (or your computer already has USB 3.0 interface)

I bought a USB 3.0 to 3 ports USB and one ethernet adapter for my laptop when the internal wifi was damaged (My laptop had two USB 3.0 ports), and I used the 3 USB ports that the one for wifi(I didn't use it at home, but when I bring the laptop out then I have to use it) and another one for IR remote mouse, and the last one for USB to type-c to communicate with my smartphone to upload and download the photos and videos.

Edit:
Another USB port :
I bought another USB 3.0 to 4 USB ports adaptor, and I used the adapter to connect to Arduino and a potable HDD driver or some other else.

USB 3.0 to 3 ports USB and one ethernet adapter.jpg

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Yes usb will be slower than pcie .
But
You probably won't notice
Even usb 2 will give 400 plus Mbit/s

Most ethernet access though say 1g headline , even streaming video , you will use a fraction of the availae usb 2 speed .
When I'm on the road like now , I'm on 3g mobile signal if I'm lucky , and 90 percent of time it's more than enough to watch videos etc .
For under 10 dollars for a usb to ethernet dongle ,
I'd say try it.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
When I'm on the road like now , I'm on 3g mobile signal if I'm lucky , and 90 percent of time it's more than enough to watch videos etc .
I was used 3G many years ago for my smartphone, and I just upgraded to 5G about three months ago, out of the house the speed is quite fast, but the 5G signal is not so good when I at home, so I always using wifi signal for my smartphone from Modem with the Ethernet(Router) and wifi provided by the Internet ISP provider, and the laptop or desktop all used the ethernet, but I would like to change to the wifi signal.

1654959969571.png

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Hi,
The lan port of my pc is damaged in the spike by the thunderstorm and lightning.
So, I had to use , a usb 2.0 ethernet adapter to plug in one of my usb port to get the internet.
But the speed is half of what I used to get from the direct ethernet port as before. My usual speed is 10.5mbps but , now on testing with internet speed sites, it gives only half , i.e 5 mbps at the maximum.
Could any one tell, why it is so , technically,
Please also say a fix for it, as I have no extra lan port in my pc.
It is probably the adapter you are using. I have a StarTech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. On an old Lenovo laptop with just USB 2.0 ports, I get 98Mbps download and 90Mbps upload. with that adapter on my 100Mbps service. So, USB 2.0 can support a 100Mbps link with an Ethernet adapter.

Last edited:

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
It is probably the adapter you are using. I have a StarTech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. On an old Lenovo laptop with just USB 2.0 ports, I get 98Mbps download and 90Mbps upload. with that adapter on my 100Mbps service. So, USB 2.0 can support a 100Mbps link with an Ethernet adapter.
Try a wired used to gbit eithernet adaptor instead of wirkess.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
To add a different version of mostly the same answer as others have given:

Your problem isn’t USB 2.0 itself. The standard for USB 2.0 provides up to 280mbps, far more than you need for this application. The bottleneck lies elsewhere.

It could be the implementation of the USB port. Even though the standard can support the higher rate, the hardware or firmware for the port could be limiting throughput. You can check for firmware updates, and that might just help, but of course you can‘t do anything about the hardware.

Similarly, it could be the implementation of the dongle hardware, firmware, or driver. You can check for updates for the soft parts of this, and, of course you can replace the hardware in this case. If you choose to buy a new dongle, check reviews for good throughput, they are not all created equal.

One more place you might be able to improve things is in the driver configuration. Depending on the driver, there may be options to tune the parameters used by the driver to run the dongle. It is also possible that changes to the system’s parameters for the TCP/IP stack could make improvements. You can research this online for your OS/dongle combination.

My own approach to this problem would be to look for a new dongle with a good reputation for throughput to eliminate the dongle as the bottleneck.