Would like to use the Power Supply

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Sorry I guess I don't understand what is wrong with it. Sorry if I did something against the rules. Wasn't my intent.
An enclosed 5V/12V SMPSU would be better for powering the DVD and better for this forum.

They used to be abundant from end user disposal warehouses and salvage dealers, not so sure these days though.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Thank you Dodgy Dave. I tried that bypassing the Q951 and that didn't change the results. I power on the unit, it then does the power up and goes to standby. Then once it is in standby I press the power button and it powers up the unit that I connected to the 12v output on this. It powers on for around 40 seconds to 1 min and then goes back to standby. In this state it can be turned on again but that isn't fun having to press the power button every minute to use this lol...

Thank you for the Help. maybe I just need to scrap the idea and just buy a Cheap China made PS. I just thought re using something rather then adding it to E-Waste that is filling the land fills. Or gets shipped out to some other country where it is polluting.

Thanks for all the input on this. I haven't gave up the idea yet. Just leading that way.

James

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thank you Dodgy Dave. I tried that bypassing the Q951 and that didn't change the results. I power on the unit, it then does the power up and goes to standby. Then once it is in standby I press the power button and it powers up the unit that I connected to the 12v output on this. It powers on for around 40 seconds to 1 min and then goes back to standby. In this state it can be turned on again but that isn't fun having to press the power button every minute to use this lol...

Thank you for the Help. maybe I just need to scrap the idea and just buy a Cheap China made PS. I just thought re using something rather then adding it to E-Waste that is filling the land fills. Or gets shipped out to some other country where it is polluting.

Thanks for all the input on this. I haven't gave up the idea yet. Just leading that way.

James
Ok when you press the standby button, what voltages are on the opto-couplers led(right) side, and Q951 base when it's On??

there must be one or more being used to put it into standby, the psu has No intelligence, and is being controlled by the microcontroller in the dvd/cd player.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
I am trying to use the PSU as a Stand alone. I have removed the Drive, Audio and Main board. this leaves the Fan, PSU, Display and power button board.

Problem is there is some type of state that sets the power to stay on. If the Chip on the back side of the right side of the board don't see this state it thinks I don't want to use it and puts the system to Standby.

So I am trying to find a way to make this PSU stay on.

When it was a DVD player. You press the power button, The display says hello, If you don't press Eject or if there is a DVD/CD in the drive that loads the system will got to a run state. Problem is if you don't do anything with the Tray when it ejects after a minute it will shut the tray and the system will go to back to Standby

My goal is to use this PSU for some little things that will work off 12v and or even maybe even use it with a Boost Converter to power something that would need some extra power that coujld stay within the constraints of this unit. Problem is I need to find a way to Trick this thing to stay on when the power button is pressed.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
I am not saying that it was the intent of the PSU to use a Microcontroller uC as stated. However on this board on the back there is a IC that is used for over current and fan sense and some State called H State that is the state that it needs to be in to keep the PSU running.

I thought I would also say in case there is some one that finds this thread looking to do something like this.

This board isn't as Thermal Resistant as other PCB so make sure to dial your Soldering Stations or irons back when working on this board. I haven't pulled up a pad in the last 10 years on any thing that I have soldered or de-soldered. I am not sure if it was do to the fact that the board on the bottom is not only soldered on parts but they are also glued with something. Looking over the board it isn't only the IC or larger parts that is glued All parts on the bottom are. Top isn't glued.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Don't quote me on this. But I think I found something that may look like a way to keep this on? Pin 6 of SC9001 needs to be pulled low. Just to figure out what it needs to be at to be pulled low?

Thank you for all the help everyone that has been willing to try and help someone that Rambles a lot..

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Like i said earlier, the psu chip switches into standby on pin 1,so Q951 and Q952 are used to put the opto-couplers on/off for low power mode, so monitor the voltage on the base of these transistors when On and in Standby, then you can fudge them.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Ok sadly that is unrelated..

So back to the IC on the bottom of the Power board.

I am thinking that the area to look over is the Pin 19 on the IC. It is in need to stay at some state called H however I am not sure what that means? I mean I could guess and that would be High but I am not sure...The problem is in all states I can't change anything from one known good state to another because the system don't change unless it is going to stay on.

SO like for Pin 19 that is for Power Fail on the chip. In the trouble shooting it says for that to keep the PSU on the state needs to measure H state.

Thanks again for the help with the Opto-couplers When I did as you said before there was no effect. I even removed the part from the bottom of the board and it still worked as it did before. even with it not being connected.

The Unit would power on and give 12v on the power line for the dvd drive for 50 seconds. Thought it was a minute but just timmed it at 50 seconds. Then display says Bye and powers down the unit

To be honest, I wish it was just as easy as soldering a Jumper some where to ground or something easy like that, anyway I can always wish.

If I can't figure it out. I will just put my Hakko to work taking parts. .

Thank you. I need to get to bed, Have to be to work in 5 hours.