Working on a project for solar garden light with programmable timer

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Your image is a bit difficult to see. Can you post a larger one?

Is this just for fun? Something you want to build on your own? Because there are cheap timers out there on eBay.

That battery is not going to last too long charging it that way. There is a whole science in charging batteries. You really should use a charge controller.

It looks like the light will be lite till the battery is depleted which is also very bad for the battery.

I have a similar project using a pic microcontroller. It monitors battery voltage and will shut the light off at a voltage that you can set. It is a bit over the top for the pupose but I can post it if you wish. But you would be willing to work with the pic micro.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Seems like using an LDR to control when light turns on would be better than using a timer. If you want to limit on time, you could have the LDR trigger a timer.

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
image.png
Your image is a bit difficult to see. Can you post a larger one?

Is this just for fun? Something you want to build on your own? Because there are cheap timers out there on eBay.

That battery is not going to last too long charging it that way. There is a whole science in charging batteries. You really should use a charge controller.

It looks like the light will be lite till the battery is depleted which is also very bad for the battery.

I have a similar project using a pic microcontroller. It monitors battery voltage and will shut the light off at a voltage that you can set. It is a bit over the top for the pupose but I can post it if you wish. But you would be willing to work with the pic micro.
I picked this circuit to make for a btec project as we had to pick a circuit which is complex. This is not a real life situation so i dont need a biger battery and most likely i will ne using a smaller battery than that (i might be using AA rechargeable batteries) the real life scenario doesnt matter all i need help is how this circuit operates and a parts list i need to prepare by this week... Also if possoble can you message me on provate. Seems i can use your help. Hope this image is large enough.

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
Seems like using an LDR to control when light turns on would be better than using a timer. If you want to limit on time, you could have the LDR trigger a timer.
If possible can you find an inage online that does the job. I need an image because the project im doing has to be somewhat complex so your idea seems easy.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Anyone who draws a schematic that poorly must surely have other faults.

How long do you expect the LEDs to work without any current limiting?

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
N
Are you being graded on your ability to understand how the circuit works?
nope its about conveying a drawing onto real life situations. Eg finding a circuit online analyse and make it on a breadboard. In order to achieve higher grade and explain the porject to my classmates i want to have a general knowledge of the circuit, thats why im here?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
In order to achieve higher grade and explain the porject to my classmates i want to have a general knowledge of the circuit, thats why im here?
If assistance you receive here can improve your grade, you should be in the Homework Help forum. It's fine to ask for assistance, but in the Homework forum, you will be guided to a solution. In any of the other forums, you might just be given answers; that might be considered cheating and you could receive a failing grade in that case.

But in the homework forum, you may receive fewer views...

You can click the report button and ask that your thread be moved to the Homework Help forum if you think that's appropriate.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Perhaps I was too obtuse. When I ask how long you expect the parts to work without limiting I am suggesting you look at the design to realize those parts will fail sooner or later, perhaps as soon as you turn it on the very first time.

Since your task is to explain how the circuit works then do that, and do not ask us to do your homework for you. I suggest you start by reading the data sheet fo the CD4060 chip used in that design.

Do feel free to ask specific question on details you do not understand.

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
If assistance you receive here can improve your grade, you should be in the Homework Help forum. It's fine to ask for assistance, but in the Homework forum, you will be guided to a solution. In any of the other forums, you might just be given answers; that might be considered cheating and you could receive a failing grade in that case.

But in the homework forum, you may receive fewer views...

You can click the report button and ask that your thread be moved to the Homework Help forum if you think that's appropriate.
I just need assistance with understanding the circuit.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I just need assistance with understanding the circuit.
What you said in post #10 made me believe that understanding the circuit would improve your grade. So give your understanding of circuit operation and we'll go from there. It won't be a quick or easy process for you or me. The only difference is I understand how the circuit is supposed to work.

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
What you said in post #10 made me believe that understanding the circuit would improve your grade. So give your understanding of circuit operation and we'll go from there. It won't be a quick or easy process for you or me. The only difference is I understand how the circuit is supposed to work.
I know what the components do in general. In summary i know the basic function of this circuit eg the solar panel gets the sunlight to recharge the battery. The battery provides the energy for the LED. I need to know the pin out information and what each component does in this circuit.

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
I know the pin outs for the ic. I know its the main part so i know about the ic but not the components like diodes and transistors.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I know the pin outs for the ic. I know its the main part so i know about the ic but not the components like diodes and transistors.
I recommend you get the datasheets for all the components. If you don't know how diodes, zener diodes, and transistors work, I suggest you read the textbooks linked at the top of this page.

Memphis23

Joined Dec 13, 2015
I recommend you get the datasheets for all the components. If you don't know how diodes, zener diodes, and transistors work, I suggest you read the textbooks linked at the top of this page.
I know hiw those components work individually but their job in this circuit is what i need to know in order to have an idea of whats going on in this circuit